Did you mean: 
AKB_2K
Level: Powered On

Cascading dropdown field value not getting saved to SharePoint list

Hello All,

I have created 2 SharePoint list -

• MasterData
  • Status

"MasterData" list contains all my working data. In this MasterData list I have created "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" Column as choice fields with drop-down menu option selected.

"Status" list, contains 2 columns - "Status" and "DetailedStatus"

In my powerapps, Gallery1 is linked to MasterData. On clicking item in Gallery1, it redirects to Viewform page where View form property is set as "Gallery1.selected" which showcases data based on details mentioned in MasterData list. I have created a edit button on this Viewform page which redirects the user to EditForm page. Edit form property is also selected as "Gallery1.selected".

Using Shane Young video on Youtube to create cascading dropdown, I created a dependant dropdown for DetailedStatus column based on Status value. Basically I deleted the DetailedStatus DataCardValue and added a ComboBox1. Formula for DetailedStatus ComboBox1 is as follows - 

Distinct(Filter('Status',Status = DataCardValue40.Selected.Value),DetailedStatus)

DataCardValue40 represent Status DataCardValue. I have changed "DetailedStatusDataCard" update field ComboBox1.Selected. On clicking save button, following formula get executed

SubmitForm(EditForm); Back();Notify("Changes updated successfully",NotificationType.Success)

But here the value selected in ComboBox1 is not getting saved. If I try to click save multiple times, it is somehow saving random dropdown values for other listbox in the form but the ComboBox1 field is always blank. Cascading dropdown works but guess the EditForm data is not getting saved to MasterData list.

Can someone help here please?

Thanks,

AKB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Cascading dropdown field value not getting saved to SharePoint list

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Are the "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" both Choice type columns in your "MasterData" list?

Do you want to save the ComboBox1 Seletced value back to the "DetailedStatus" column in your "MasterData" list?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think there is something wrong with the formula you typed within the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form to following formula:

{
  Value: ComboBox1.Selected.Result      /* <-- ComboBox1 represents DetailedStatus ComboBox */
}

Please consider take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Also please check and see if the following blog would also help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/?utm_source=p...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Are the "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" both Choice type columns in your "MasterData" list?

Do you want to save the ComboBox1 Seletced value back to the "DetailedStatus" column in your "MasterData" list?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think there is something wrong with the formula you typed within the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form.

Set the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form to following formula:

{
  Value: ComboBox1.Selected.Result      /* <-- ComboBox1 represents DetailedStatus ComboBox */
}

Also please check and see if the following blog would also help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/?utm_source=p...

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

AKB_2K

@v-xida-msft wrote:

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Correct

Correct

{
}

Wow. This solved it. Thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify my solution is helpful.

Best regards,

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Have you solved your problem?

Is the solution I provided above helpful for you?

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Highlighted
AKB_2K

I was trying to do that yesterday but unfortunately I was continuosly getting this error on clicking "Accept as Solution" button - "The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.".

Fortunately it worked today!! Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,102)