cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpezzutti
Level: Powered On

Changing data source

Hello

I have a backend in google sheets. I want to move this backend to SQL server Microsoft Azure backend.

The problem I am having is that I have developed an app where I am using a form which is connected to google sheets.

I am very worried when I repoint this form to my SQL server that powerapp is going to reformat the form.

Could someone let me know how can I avoid this from happening because I have put a lot of effort in developing this form

Thanks

Marco 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Changing data source

Hi @mpezzutti 

Since you are working with the edit forms, I would suggest you to remove all the datacards and add them again based on the SQL Data Source. This would be a better approach as this will avoids all the discrepancy in the back-end processing of the form. We donot have much control over the datacards and the main issue will arise if the Update property doesnot refer to the required value. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Super User
Super User

Hi Marco,

In general, I think it's safe to modify the DataSource property of a form without PowerApps reformatting the content.

What I would recommend you do is to backup your app onto your local computer by going to File > Save As (This Computer). That way, if the form designer messes up your work, you can revert back to a copy that's correct.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mpezzutti ,

Do you want to repoint the Edit form which connects to your Google sheet table to your SQL Table?

Actually, when you re-point the data source connects to your Edit form, it would show up a prompt as below:13.JPG

On your side, if click "Replace my data cards" option, then all data cards in your previous Edit form would be replaced with columns from your SQL Table.

If you click "No Thanks" option, the previous data cards from your Google sheets table would be invalid. You need to remove all data cards from your Edit form, then enable the corresponding field data cards from your SQL Table.

Currently, within PowerApps, I afraid that there is no way to get rid of reformatting the Edit form when you repoint your Edit form to another different data source.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 246 members 6,550 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: