cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checking if numbers and letters are in a text input

A simple solution I'm sure, but I can't find it anywhere. I have a text input that must contain both numbers and letters in order for the user to proceed. How do I check for this input using an If statement? I know how to do it for numbers or text only, but not both.

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Checking if numbers and letters are in a text input

Hi @Anonymous 

You can do this with a regular expression. Here's the formula you can add to a label.

If(IsMatch(TextInput1.Text, "([A-Za-z]+[0-9]|[0-9]+[A-Za-z])[A-Za-z0-9]*"),
"Input OK",
"Input must contain letters and numbers"
)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You can do this with a regular expression. Here's the formula you can add to a label.

If(IsMatch(TextInput1.Text, "([A-Za-z]+[0-9]|[0-9]+[A-Za-z])[A-Za-z0-9]*"),
"Input OK",
"Input must contain letters and numbers"
)

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Probably the easiest way would be to use the IsMatch() function and a regex expression.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-ismatch 

Try the following for the Regex pattern

(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[a-zA-Z])([a-zA-Z0-9]+)

So you could put something like this in the Color property of the text block

If(IsMatch(TextInput4.Text,"(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[a-zA-Z])([a-zA-Z0-9]+)"),Black,Red)

If the text entry has at least one alpha and one digit then it will be black otherwise it will be red

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, just what I was looking for.

Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Also just to add a little, you can shorten your patterns by using the predefined patterns in PowerApps.

So, this formula would also provide the results and perhaps be a little more readable. 

IsMatch(TextInput1.Text, MultipleLetters & MultipleDigits)

Happy PowerApp'ing

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@RandyHayes  I thought about that one, but won't that require more than one character and digit?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 

Actually, the name is a bit deceiving - even though it is "Multiple" it is defined as "one or more"

So, "A1" would match, as would "AA11"

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RandyHayes @Pstork1  thank you both for your help! I will try this also, will be helpful for others deciphering the code in the future. Out of curiosity, does PowerApps have a masked text input option? I have researched this but have found no possible answers. The text input I have requires 3 letters first and then 8 numbers, I was using this check as a plausible workaround. 

Thanks again for your help!

Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

No, there is not a masked input control currently.  So, you are limited to validating the control only.

The Match functions will be the best options for validating the contents.  But, there is nothing that would "force" or "restrict" a user to entering 3 letter and 8 numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks for letting me know. A potentially useful idea for the future maybe!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 258 members 5,398 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: