cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Microsoft Employee

Clear selection from Dropdow does not work

I have a PowerApp which has some drop downs for optional fields to populate a SharePoint list. These fields are lookup fields from other SharePoint lists.

When creating or editing a record, the drop down shows blank by default which is fine and I can save it as blank which is expected. However, if I click on any other value from the drop down and then clear the value and save (submit), that sets the field value to the first item in the drop down.

The only workaround I found was to edit the item in SharePoint but that is not a scalable solution.

3 REPLIES 3
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Clear selection from Dropdow does not work

Hi @Chamara

As far as I know it is currently not possible to patch a null value to a data source, in fact it is not possible to set a context variable to null.  This is an issue, please add your kudos to this idea:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Function-to-produce-blank-value/idc-p/14412#M965

Microsoft Employee

@Meneghino, That does not explain this completely. Basically, if that is the case, how can the inconsistancy while creating a new item be explained, between leaving the drop down untouched (then blank is set in SharePoint) vs. when value is selected and then cleared (then first element value is set in SharePoint) ?

Maybe there is one more thing going on in addition to what you are stating and that may lead to a solution that Power Apps team can implement for this issue.

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi again @Chamara

In my experience the dropdown in PowerApps cannot be set to blank, it always shows one element of the Items table.  If the Default property of the dropdoen does not identify an item then the default item will be the first record of Items.

The only exception is if the Items property of the dropdown is empty.

What can happen is that the dropdown appears to be blank, but in actual fact it is because the record which is selected has a blank value for the field being displayed in the dropdown.  You can select which field is displayed in the Advanced properties of the dropdown, and unfortunately this selection is reset every time you change the Items property.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if anything is not clear, or if you have a different experience.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,008)