cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Matthew_Cooley
Level: Powered On

Column names not updating in collection with sharepoint

I am currently working with a sharepoint list that I am frequently changing. I will often change column names, change the order of the columns, and add/delete columns from sharepoint. My powerapps application has a formula to Clearcollect from my sharepoint list, after the sharepoint list has been refreshed. However, the changed column names are not showing up in the collection. 

In more detail, I had noticed I had a space in one of my column names, since it was showing the x_002 thing, so I went to my sharepoint list and removed the space. I am displaying the collection in powerapps as a table, and I cannot seem to get the column name to update so it doesn't have the x_002 in it. I have removed the collection completely, closed the app, restarted, removed all data connections then re-added, created a new collection. Nothing has seemed to get this to update with the correct column name. 

Do collections not function in the way I'd like to use them?

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Column names not updating in collection with sharepoint

Hi @Matthew_Cooley

The problem is with SharePoint and not with PowerApps.

When you create an object such as a list, document library or column in SharePoint, it will be created with an internal SharePoint name.  This name will never change even if you change the name in SharePoint after creation.  You can see this by looking at the link in the browser when you browse to the object in SharePoint.  PowerApps rightly uses the column internal name as opposed to the display name.

The way to get around this is to create a new column with the correct name and then copy-paste the data into it.

In any case it is never a good idea to have list or column names with spaces in them.

Hope this helps.

PS There is much on the web on this, for example:

http://sympmarc.com/2015/01/27/get-the-internalname-for-a-sharepoint-list-column/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Column names not updating in collection with sharepoint

Hi @Matthew_Cooley

The problem is with SharePoint and not with PowerApps.

When you create an object such as a list, document library or column in SharePoint, it will be created with an internal SharePoint name.  This name will never change even if you change the name in SharePoint after creation.  You can see this by looking at the link in the browser when you browse to the object in SharePoint.  PowerApps rightly uses the column internal name as opposed to the display name.

The way to get around this is to create a new column with the correct name and then copy-paste the data into it.

In any case it is never a good idea to have list or column names with spaces in them.

Hope this helps.

PS There is much on the web on this, for example:

http://sympmarc.com/2015/01/27/get-the-internalname-for-a-sharepoint-list-column/

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,718)