cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TesDA
Level: Powered On

Combobox Search - Single Letter Words

I've created a ComboBox, which has a drop down and search functionality. The list I've used for the selections is to large for everything to fit in the drop down which is fine since the search can find everything. The list is technologies, this works fine with terms like ".Net". The issue comes with single letter technologies, like R. When you put R into the search box, every technology with r in the word comes up, and the list is so long that the language R never actually shows up in the drop down.

Any suggestions on how to put that kind of search in? Or ways to get around this issue with the limitations to data? Unfortunatly this is a list I cant shorten.

Image 3.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Combobox Search - Single Letter Words

Hi @TesDA ,

Actually, the search functionality within ComboBox is not case-sensitive. So when you type one character within the Searchbox, the ComboBox would list all items which contains that character.

As an alternative solution, I agree with @wyotim 's thought almost. You could consider custom the Search functionality of the ComboBox control.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:12.JPG

12.JPG

Set the Items property of the ComboBox to following formula:

Filter('20190325_case13', StartsWith(Title, ComboBox1.SearchText))

On your side, you should type:

Filter('YourDataSource', StartsWith(DisplayColumn, ComboBox1.SearchText))

Note: The DisplayColumn represents the column you want to display as Primary text within the ComboBox.

set the Primary text property of the ComboBox to your Displaycolumn as above screenshot.

Or

Filter('YourDataSource', ComboBox1.SearchText in DisplayColumn)

Above two formulas may cause a Delegation warning issue, it means that you could not delegate the data process to your data source, you could only process data locally. In default, you could only process 500 records locally at most, you could change the limit to maximum value -- 2000.

More details about changing the limits, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview#changing-the-limit

If the amount of records you populated within the ComboBox is not more than 2000, you could ignore this warning issue. If the amount of records you populated within the ComboBox is more than 2000, please check the following the solution mentioned within the following thread (save your data source records into multiple collections in bulk, then merge the multiple collection into single one collection, then use the merged collection as data source within your ComboBox😞

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Pulling-in-large-ish-SQL-tables/m-p/243777#M7...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

The issue you are coming against is that Search looks for that string anywhere in the values being searched. I would suggest putting a radio button to select between a "contains"-type search and a "starts with"-type search. There are some examples here near the bottom of the page but here are the relevant examples:

// A "contains"-type search
Search( 
    Customers, 
    SearchInput.Text, 
    "Name" 
)

// A "starts with"-type search
Filter( 
    Customers, 
    StartsWith( 
        Name, 
        SearchInput.Text 
    ) 
)

This would require each of these statements to be in an If statement on the gallery Items property, with the radio control determining which one gets used.

Hope that helps but let me know if I can help out more. And props to R! Sadly I haven't used that since university. Smiley Sad

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @TesDA ,

Actually, the search functionality within ComboBox is not case-sensitive. So when you type one character within the Searchbox, the ComboBox would list all items which contains that character.

As an alternative solution, I agree with @wyotim 's thought almost. You could consider custom the Search functionality of the ComboBox control.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:12.JPG

12.JPG

Set the Items property of the ComboBox to following formula:

Filter('20190325_case13', StartsWith(Title, ComboBox1.SearchText))

On your side, you should type:

Filter('YourDataSource', StartsWith(DisplayColumn, ComboBox1.SearchText))

Note: The DisplayColumn represents the column you want to display as Primary text within the ComboBox.

set the Primary text property of the ComboBox to your Displaycolumn as above screenshot.

Or

Filter('YourDataSource', ComboBox1.SearchText in DisplayColumn)

Above two formulas may cause a Delegation warning issue, it means that you could not delegate the data process to your data source, you could only process data locally. In default, you could only process 500 records locally at most, you could change the limit to maximum value -- 2000.

More details about changing the limits, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview#changing-the-limit

If the amount of records you populated within the ComboBox is not more than 2000, you could ignore this warning issue. If the amount of records you populated within the ComboBox is more than 2000, please check the following the solution mentioned within the following thread (save your data source records into multiple collections in bulk, then merge the multiple collection into single one collection, then use the merged collection as data source within your ComboBox😞

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Pulling-in-large-ish-SQL-tables/m-p/243777#M7...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,798)