cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SanchezCSG
Level 8

Connect with Sharepoint Excel

Hi guys!

Im running an app that insert rows in excel in my "personal" OneDrive.

I want to insert rows in a excel in SharePoint but PowerApps only let me sincronize Sharepoint lists. There is any way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Connect with Sharepoint Excel

Hi @SanchezCSG,

Currently not, but this should be available soon.

Working with files from SharePoint library (SharePoint folders) under PowerApps is not available by now, and there is an idea submitted on this:

Sharepoint Folder as datasource

Status changed to Planned, which means this would be added in the near future.

in addition, currently for Excel related Action under Microsoft Flow, SharePoint connection is not supported, so using Microsoft Flow to insert Excel rows within PowerApps is also not available.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @SanchezCSG,

Currently not, but this should be available soon.

Working with files from SharePoint library (SharePoint folders) under PowerApps is not available by now, and there is an idea submitted on this:

Sharepoint Folder as datasource

Status changed to Planned, which means this would be added in the near future.

in addition, currently for Excel related Action under Microsoft Flow, SharePoint connection is not supported, so using Microsoft Flow to insert Excel rows within PowerApps is also not available.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

pgarmpro
Level: Power Up

A year passed, and still no-go...

andrewbrick
Level: Powered On

It is ludicrous that Microsoft is pushing this product when it doesn't have such basic functionality as this.

bliden
Level: Power Up

@pgarmpro wrote:

A year passed, and still no-go...

And almost ANOTHER year.  WTF?

Super User
Super User

This is available today.  You can do this with PowerApps and a Flow (or just a Flow).

All with the Excel Online (Business) Connector.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
AndrzejSU

Hi, I was looking for opening an Excel file with properly defined table as data source (some "dictonary" list) located on Sharepoint. I have a problem with definition of the file location - I cannot do this (!). The data source ExcelOnline(Business) appears on the connection list but when I am trying to use on the form it does not  allow to defne file location.

Which is the problem - do I have a problem with security/license or it is a problem of the connector itself?

Super User
Super User

@AndrzejSU 

You are trying to use the Excel Online (Business) Connector as a data source.  I don't believe this is what you want.

If you want to use Excel as a data source, the first thing is that you need your Excel in your OneDrive.  Then you can add the datasource by adding a OneDrive for Business connection.  It will then let you choose the file you want as a datasource.

Hope that helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
AndrzejSU

@RandyHayes 

Excel file on OneDrive has a problem with access rights. Even file located in OneDrive shared to another users need to be given access manualy. In addition if it is located in my drive and I would change its location it would require changes in application (the file location is not a parameter). I was hoping I can read some information from this file located in SP folder for use in my App and the same time make it possible for couple of people to edit records in the table from time to time. This would allow to show some info for users on personalized way.
If it is not correct the question what is ExcelOnline for?

Super User
Super User

@AndrzejSU 

Yes, these are some of the current limitations with the Excel connector.  As far as I am aware from it, you need to have the Excel file on your OneDrive and share it manually.  The connector does not allow for pointing to another source/location.

The workaround to it may be to take it from another way...consider using SharePoint as your DataSource.  Then, if you still need Excel as a viewing/reporting experience, connect your Excel to the SharePoint list as a data source as well.  Then your Excel will have data from SharePoint and your PowerApp will have data from SharePoint as well.  And now, you can manage access much better - plus you get all the version control and record by record sharing of SharePoint.  There are other limitations with Excel as a datasource and opening and using the file while PowerApps is trying to do the same.

Just a thought to consider...hope it helps spark some thought.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,920)