Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rachel
Level: Powered On

Connecting a NewForm to another NewForm

I have three tables:

Employees - EmployeeProjects - Projects

Where each record in EmployeeProjects has a ProjectID, EmployeeID, and has an explanation of the employee's role on the project.

I am trying to do the following:

1) Have one new form, "NewProject," that creates a new project, with ProjectID autonumber, title, and other information (easy)

2) Submit NewProject and direct to another new form, "EmployeesOnProject" (easy)

3) EmployeesOnProject creates records in EmployeeProjects using the ProjectID from NewProject

I have no idea how to accomplish the third step. I've been doing similar steps where a user would select a Project from a list, and the ProjectID would populate using ProjectList.Selected.ID. Is there a way for the second new form to automatically use the ProjectID created in the first new form?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Paul_C
Microsoft

Re: Connecting a NewForm to another NewForm

Edit forms have a LastSubmit property. This property will give you the last record created. You can get the project id from that. For instance:

Form1.LastSubmit.ProjectID

Just replace Form1 with the name of your form.

Some other form properties that you may be interested in are OnSuccess and OnFailure. For instance, you could only navigate to the next form in OnSuccess.

Here's a link that explains these properties and more, which you may find useful if you want to know more: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-form-detail

Hope this helps!

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jdscott

Since the ProjectID is an autonumber field, I assume it is simply incrementing? In that case, the current project has the highest number in the ProjectID column. You can reference this value using:

Max(NewProjectTable,ProjectID)

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may need to:

Text(Max(NewProjectTable,ProjectID))

Microsoft Paul_C
Microsoft

Edit forms have a LastSubmit property. This property will give you the last record created. You can get the project id from that. For instance:

Form1.LastSubmit.ProjectID

Just replace Form1 with the name of your form.

Some other form properties that you may be interested in are OnSuccess and OnFailure. For instance, you could only navigate to the next form in OnSuccess.

Here's a link that explains these properties and more, which you may find useful if you want to know more: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-form-detail

Hope this helps!

- Paul C.

View solution in original post

Jdscott

That's great! I hadn't seen that before. So, to submit a record and navigate to a new screen I would have an icon/button with an OnSelect property to SubmitForm and then the form's OnSuccess property would be set to Navigate(otherscreen,none) ?

Microsoft Paul_C
Microsoft

Yes, exactly!

- Paul C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,651)