cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sephiel
Level: Powered On

Connection explanation with a remote, but non-azure, SQL server?

Hi all,

I apologize if this has an explanation somewhere but I am confused looking through the forums and documentations about my specific situation. I work with a SQL server that connect to PowerApps within my organization, but I am not a part of the administration team that sets up the server space. We have a SQL server set up that I remotely connect through using windows authentication, and, using a gateway, connect and work on the PowerApp just fine. 

What I'm struggling with, is the best solution when it comes time to launch the app to more people in the organization. Since I can only connect via a gateway with the on-premises type connection, my computer would have to be up and running in order for others to use the app. The admin team will make me a read-only service account when we're ready, but I would still need to connect with those credentials via a gateway, correct?

What's the best way to make this work, if the server is non-Azure? Would I need to have a dedicated station up and running with the gateway in order to push the app to others? 

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Connection explanation with a remote, but non-azure, SQL server?

Does the on-premises gateway software run on your computer?  if so, then your computer would need to stay up and running all the time.  Per the documentation, the gateway for a production environment should run on a server class machine, not a user's workstation.  In terms of the login for the gateway, it would be best if it was a service account, but since the user ID and password are cached in the gateway you don't need to be there for it to run. When you get the service account you need to modify the gateway to use those credentials.  There is also a connection account that you use to access the SQL server through the gateway. That can be the same or different credentials.  But those need to be used to establish the connection from PowerApps.

So you should have a dedicated machine running the gateway.  Depending on the capacity used by your connection it can also be used for other things.  The gateway software should be installed using a service account and the SQL connection should also use a service account.  Then you can share the app.

ONe last thing.  Since you are using an on-premises gateway remember that all the users you share the app with need a P1 license or better since the gateway is a premium feature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Does the on-premises gateway software run on your computer?  if so, then your computer would need to stay up and running all the time.  Per the documentation, the gateway for a production environment should run on a server class machine, not a user's workstation.  In terms of the login for the gateway, it would be best if it was a service account, but since the user ID and password are cached in the gateway you don't need to be there for it to run. When you get the service account you need to modify the gateway to use those credentials.  There is also a connection account that you use to access the SQL server through the gateway. That can be the same or different credentials.  But those need to be used to establish the connection from PowerApps.

So you should have a dedicated machine running the gateway.  Depending on the capacity used by your connection it can also be used for other things.  The gateway software should be installed using a service account and the SQL connection should also use a service account.  Then you can share the app.

ONe last thing.  Since you are using an on-premises gateway remember that all the users you share the app with need a P1 license or better since the gateway is a premium feature.

View solution in original post

Sephiel
Level: Powered On

Thank you! I knew I was missing a piece of the puzzle, but wasn't sure the right questions to ask to get this solved.

Thanks for the info on the plan requirement - we will definitely need to take that into account. If the data is shared through an Azure, I'm assuming there is not a need to have all users be signed up with Plan 1?

Thanks again!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Azure SQL databases are available to the Internet and don't require a Gateway.  But you can only use SQL account for the connector with an Azure SQL database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,052)