cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpence
Level: Powered On

Contact Photo column not editing in PA form

I created a custom EDIT form in PowerApps for my company's phone list  (which was created by my predecessor from the default SPO Contacts app). One of the columns (fields) is the Contact Photo, which is type "HyperLink or Picture".

Contact-Photo-type.png

If I edit an employee in QuickEdit mode, I can paste a URL of the photo into that column and it will save and display the photo. But when I edit that specific employee (calling the custom EDIT form), it only display the link, but I cannot select the field nor paste into it.

Contact-Photo-field.png

I've checked the DisplayMode on the DataCard and it is set to EDIT, but I still can't click into the field when I run the app. What am I running into here?

Thanks,

gpence

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Contact Photo column not editing in PA form

Hi @gpence ,

Do you mean that you can not edit Contact Photo field in sharepoint custom form?

I've made a similar test but not met the same problem like your description.

Here's my test:

1)field's data type9242.PNG

2)form's setting:9244.PNG

3)run the custom form, could edit this field9243.PNG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
gpence

@v-yutliu-msft 

Hi Pheobe,

Yes, that is what I mean. 

In compairson to your test:

1) The content type in the list settings is showing as "Hyperlink or Picture" on the summary page, (shown in my OP above) and if I click into that column (to edit it), it is showing as "Picture". If I change that to "Hyperlink", it will only show the URL in our Phone List and not the actual photo (and I tested using that, but I still can't click into the Contact Photo field (DataCard) on the SP custom form).

2) I do note that my DataCard is showing as Label instead of Input Text (as shown in your example)...

SP-Contact-Photo-config.png

and 3) I still can't select the Contact Photo column (field) when the Custom Edit form is called (shown in my OP above).

Thanks,

gpence

gpence

I'm not sure why my DataCard for the Contact Photo is showing as a Label (which I am now fairly certain is the problem).  Why would it be showing as a Label when my other DataCardValues are Input Text?

Update:  I've deleted my original DataCard and added a new Contact Photo and it is also configured as a Label instead of an Input Text... wth? What am I doing wrong here?

gpence

@Jeff_Thorpe  @iAm_ManCat  @v-yutliu-msft 

Can anyone help me figure out why my DataCardValue is coming up as a Label instead of an Input Text? I've tried removing that field and re-adding it, but I still am finding that I can't select the field (column) on my PowerApp custom EDIT form when I try to edit the list record. The field is showing as a Label instead of an Input Text field containing the URL of the employee's Contact Photo.

Thanks,

gpence

Super User
Super User

Well, I'm not sure where that column is getting its information from - the appres:/ links are for internal app resources.. If you insert an image into a powerapp while designing, it embeds that within the App and stores it locally within the .msapp file - this appres link then points to an internal file within the PowerApp, not an external resource.

I tried replicating your issue multiple ways but was unable to get it to do the same.

Have you tried creating a new column (Hyperlink, not Picture) - and then try to use that within the form?

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @gpence ,

After I made a lot of tests and I think I've found the reason why you met this problem.

Do you use sharepoint custom form?

The reason why you met this problem is that picture field is read-only in PowerApps.

Column type Support Default cards

Hyperlink

Yes View URL
View text
Picture Yes (read-only) View image
View text

Here's a doc about sharepoint list in PowerApps for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/connections/connection-sharepoint-onlin...

So there are two solutions:

1)use classic form, not custom form.

In classic form, the picture column could be edit.

You could change back to classic form here:

choose list setting:9261.PNG

choose form setting:9262.PNG

choose "use sharepoint default form"9263.PNG

2)insist in using custom form, change this form's data type to hyperlink.

In powerapps, this data type supports read and write.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
gpence

@v-yutliu-msft 

Hi Pheobe,

I really appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, I can't change back to the default forms because we are hiding several fields (with personal info) which were being exposed using the default forms, and I can't easily change to just a URL in that column because that wouldn't display the employee photo on the contact list (which is a requirement for our use). I decided to just display the label (I hid the DataCard Value) and changed the label to read "Use quickedit mode to paste the URL"  I saved and published and now when in the SP list I get nothing when I click on the +New link, or when I select a user and click on the Edit link. I've checked my SP Integration and it looks correct to me... what did I do?? I even restore to a version 3 days ago and republished and it still doesn't work. I've refreshed my data connection. Restarted my browser and rebooted my machine and I can't get those functions to work in IE or Chrome.

Ideas?

Thanks,

gpence

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,866)