cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anklez
Level: Powered On

Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hi,

I am trying to do something as simple as creating a new record in a single column table in an excel spreadsheet from a TextInput, but am getting the error "A value must be provided for item".

The syntax I am trying to use is

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: TextInput.Text})

As a test, I tried

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: "test"})

which created the record succesfully.

Why doesn't it work when I replace "test" with TextInput.Text?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Microsoft dinusc
Microsoft

Re: Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hello @anklez ,

Not sure why you're getting the error. Can you please try the following?:

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: Text(TextInput.Text)})
anklez

Re: Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hi @dinusc

For some reason, your suggestion creates a blank record instead of using the text from TextInput

Microsoft dinusc
Microsoft

Is it possible that you have some column-level format restriction set up in your Excel file?

Can you drop a test label on the screen and bind it to Text(TextInput.Text)? Does it show data properly? If so then I would suggest to perofm another test with a brand new Excel file  with a test table with just a couple of columns. If you can successfully Patch data to that file then you can review your original file.

anklez

I am able to Patch a record using 

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: "test"})

which tells me there shouldn't be anything wrong with the excel file? The issue only appears when I try to Patch text from TextInput

I added a test label to the Screen bound to Text(TextInput.Text) and it worked as expected. 

I will try a new excel file later on today but I'm not confident it will fix it. 

Microsoft dinusc
Microsoft

If new Excel file addresses the issue then I would check the previous file to see if there're any column restrictions, such as enforced format (text, currency, number of decimals and etc.).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,674)