cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kbirstein1
Level: Powered On

Custom Connectors and P1 License - Critically Need an Answer!

Hi All,

I critically need an answer about a custom connector to access the Microsoft Graph API. I have a project that is due December 1st and we can't move forward because we can't get a straight answer from Microsoft. The pricing information that is published is in the screenshot at the end of this post: 1 custom connector for Office 365 license per user. Unfortunately this needs further explanation in the case of a custom connector to Graph API.

First of all, the only reason we are using the custom connector to Graph API is to list the Azure AD security groups a user belongs too. This functionality should, of course, be included in the Office365User connector (since Azure AD security groups can be seen in SharePoint Online, and therefore are part of of Office 365, and are necessary to do role based security within PowerApps) but presently it is not.

Therefore, it seems like a custom connector to Graph API should not count as a custom connector at all. I was told by a Microsoft employee a month ago that connecting to Graph API would never be counted as a custom connector because "it's part of Office 365" but last week a licensing person (who may not understand this technicality) suggested it would be considered a custom connector. 

But even if using a custom connector to list Azure AD user groups (we use the blog article published by Microsoft earlier this year) is considered a countable custom connector, what does "one custom connector per user" mean?

Does it mean:

(a) Each Office365 tenant can use only one type of custom connector, so if I have three PowerApps and I use the Graph API custom connector in one of them, I can use only that Graph API custom connector in the three PowerApps.

OR

(b) If I have two Powerapps, and PowerApps "A" uses the Graph API custom connector I describe and PowerApps "B" uses a SAP custom connector, that's still only one custom connector used in each PowerApp so that's OK.

Any help on getting a clear, frim answer on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kathryn

FROM https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ page:

Office365License.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Custom Connectors and P1 License - Critically Need an Answer!

Per my own understanding,

1 Custom connector per user should be only one connector built under the custom connector page, and this connector could be used in multiple Apps, regardless of the data source it connect to.

Once it has been built, there is no chance to build another custom connector for other data sources.

Basically, it should be the scenario described in (a).

Besides, for Microsoft Graph API, I agree that this is the service or function provided within Office 365, but as this is the API level, it still needs a custom connector within PowerApps to take use of it.

If Custom connector is not considered as an available way, then you may take a try with the available connectors:

Available connectors

Specially for the this one.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Per my own understanding,

1 Custom connector per user should be only one connector built under the custom connector page, and this connector could be used in multiple Apps, regardless of the data source it connect to.

Once it has been built, there is no chance to build another custom connector for other data sources.

Basically, it should be the scenario described in (a).

Besides, for Microsoft Graph API, I agree that this is the service or function provided within Office 365, but as this is the API level, it still needs a custom connector within PowerApps to take use of it.

If Custom connector is not considered as an available way, then you may take a try with the available connectors:

Available connectors

Specially for the this one.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

kbirstein1

Thanks Michael, I just got confirmation of what you have said from a different Microsoft source so I believe that the licensing issue, which they admit has been very confusing as of late, is now clarified: one custom connector per user can be used in multiple PowerApps, but if a user has rights to PowerApps A, which uses a SAP connector, and PowerApps B, which uses a GRAPH API connector, then they need a P1 license.

Additionally, it's also been clarified that any call to a Premium Connector from a Flow that is initiated by a particular user requires that the user who initiated the Flow have at least a P1 license. But in the scenario where a Flow that is initiated from a PowerApp then calls a Premium Connector, at least a P1 license is required.

So in my scenario, I will switch to using the AzureAD connector to determine the AAD security groups a user belongs to. However, when I built my client's solution 6 months ago, this was not possible because at that time the AzureAD connector required that the user be a Global Administrator in order to use it, rendering it useless.

I'm really surprised that Microsoft is making this licensing move now, just as PowerApps/Flow is gaining traction. Until a few months ago my clients were afraid to use it because of it was changing so fast that they were afraid they would be constantly rewriting code due to it's rapid upgrade cycle.

I really believe that very few large companies will use PowerApps/Flow now beyond SharePoint/AzureSQL/Excel backend (included in O365 E3 PowerApps/Flow license) because paying $7 a user when you have 15,000 users (a current client) is $1.2 million dollars per year (!) on top of what they are paying for O365 licenses. You'd be much better off buying K2 (if you want a form builder with workflow), which would probably cost you the same dollars but give you much more functionality, or building your apps with standard web/mobile code, i.e. Typescript/HTML5/CSS3, with no licensing costs. 

ilLeo

Hi Team.

seems that now it is not possible to use also single Custom connector.

The page of licensing seems different from the screen in this thread and the possibility to create a custom connector disappear.

Is my interpretation right or we can still create a single custom connector per user?

Thanks

murrah

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,113)