cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaneOZ
Level 8

Custom dropdown Person Column

Hi,

I wish to have a dropdown column with people to patch to sharepoint column, however if the user is offline the list doesnt populate, what is the syntax to fill in the items?

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Custom dropdown Person Column

@shaneOZ 

You will not be able to get the list of people if the user is offline.

However, you can store a cache of the users locally so that when they are offline, you can search through that or use it as a datasource.

You'll want to take a look at the LoadData and SaveData functions to perform this operation.

What you store in the local data will depend on where you are getting the people list from to begin with.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
shaneOZ
Level 8

Hi Randy,

If im understanding you correctly,

ive got to create a collection using Savedata and then load that data using Loaddata on the apps start up?

Could you give me a brief example of how i am able to do this using a person column as its the only thing stopping my apps from being completely offline? As there is no youtube videos and the wiki using twitter as an example does not make sense to me?

Super User
Super User

@shaneOZ 

So, are you trying then to cache the entire Office 365 directory of people?

That would be the first place to start - determine what you want to cache.

Keep in mind, yes, you can cache all of them, but you're going to have to change functionality of your people picker controls.  They will not be able to get their data and you will then need to supply it.

But, first - is this a sub list of names or the entire directory?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
shaneOZ
Level 8

It will just be a sub list of names as the entire directory is overkill, it will only need a dozen names at most.

Super User
Super User

@shaneOZ 

So, I'd suggest then potentially creating a list with the people in it that you want.  Then load that list and SaveData on it.  Otherwise you'd have to query the entire directory and cache it...which you don't want.

shaneOZ
Level 8

So how do i create this list?

Where do i create it?

do i just create a list in sharepoint? in powerapps? do i use a dropdown?

Super User
Super User

@shaneOZ 

The choice of where and how is yours to make.  

My recommendation is that you have a SharePoint list with all the names in it that are needed.

Then, OnStart of your App, if your connected, collect that list and SaveData.  If not, then LoadData of an existing save.  Obviously, the user will have to be connected at some point prior to saving and using a Loaded collection.

After that, since you did this OnStart, the collection would then be available for you for DropDowns or whatever other controls you need to use.

Hope that sheds some more information...if still having issues, post back.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,965)