cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenleung
Level: Powered On

Customizing SharePoint List with a new screen refuses to save the item

So excited to get into PowerApps after Ignite!

I have a new SharePoint custom list, and chose to customize it using PowerApps. I duplicated the default screen that PowerApps provides, and called my new screen "SweetNewScreen". I placed a button on the default screen to switch to the new screen using the Navigate function.

Saved and Published to SharePoint.

But when I try to create/edit an item by jumping to "SweetNewScreen", it won't save back to SharePoint. It's almost like SharePoint has no idea what the Save button is supposed to do from "SweetNewScreen. What gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aadilganie
Level 8

Re: Customizing SharePoint List with a new screen refuses to save the item

Hi @kenleung

I think i figured out what maybe the issue. Because you duplicated the screen and form, PowerApps is trying to submit the first form (which is on the first screen) instead of the second form (on the second screen).

When you click Save it submits SharePointForm1 but you actually trying to submit SharePointForm1_1. You can view the save settings by clicking the SharePoint integration options in the form..

The Save button at the top of the dialog has its own default settings when you load the app with SharePoint for the first time. As you change the form you will have to edit the save settings to what you need. The quickest way to get it to work will be to add another actionto the Save Button, something like SubmitForm(SharePointForm1_1). That way both forms will be submitted at once.. You can of course use variables etc and submit each form depending on when needed etc

There are also multiple ways that you could manipulate the form.. You could use different displaymodes of the form or even manipulate fields on the form with the Visible property of each control.

One thing I can say, PowerApps can handle everything InfoPath can quicker and much easier..

Let me know if you would like more detail

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
aadilganie
Level 8

Hi @kenleung

Can you attach a screenshot of the screen as well as the formulas you're using on the button. This will give a better idea of what may be the issue..

Thanks!

Aadil

kenleung

Screenshots attached.

I just duplicated the default screen that PowerApps provides, and added a button that uses Navigate function to jump to the new screen.

kenleung

Here is what happens when I try to save a new list item using the alternate screen (which is again just a duplicate of the screen PA provides)

PA save error.png

aadilganie
Level 8

It seems that a field that is required is not being filled in.. Usually the Title field.. The notification on your screenshot is blocking the first field. Is that perhaps the title field? If not, there could be another field on your form that is not being populated but is required.

kenleung

Yep, I'm filling the Title field with "test". It works great on the original PA-provided screen which saves the item, but the duplicated screen behaves as if I didn't place "test" in the field and won't save.

The reason I'm doing this is to replicate InfoPath's ability to create views and use buttons to jump around to different views and save the item. I thought PowerApps would be able to do, but I might have to go back to InfoPath for my current project.

aadilganie
Level 8

Hi @kenleung

I think i figured out what maybe the issue. Because you duplicated the screen and form, PowerApps is trying to submit the first form (which is on the first screen) instead of the second form (on the second screen).

When you click Save it submits SharePointForm1 but you actually trying to submit SharePointForm1_1. You can view the save settings by clicking the SharePoint integration options in the form..

The Save button at the top of the dialog has its own default settings when you load the app with SharePoint for the first time. As you change the form you will have to edit the save settings to what you need. The quickest way to get it to work will be to add another actionto the Save Button, something like SubmitForm(SharePointForm1_1). That way both forms will be submitted at once.. You can of course use variables etc and submit each form depending on when needed etc

There are also multiple ways that you could manipulate the form.. You could use different displaymodes of the form or even manipulate fields on the form with the Visible property of each control.

One thing I can say, PowerApps can handle everything InfoPath can quicker and much easier..

Let me know if you would like more detail

View solution in original post

kenleung

I just read through several threads and it sounds like submitting multiple forms to a single data source is squirrely, and that the Patch function is the way to go. Bummer. I'd rather not have to write big functions to do the same thing InfoPath can do with a few mouse clicks.

I'll have to practice this on my own time. Thanks for your help, I understand now why the SharePoint save button was no bueno.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 111 members 5,320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: