cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbraga
Level: Power Up

Data Level Permission

I am creating an app using a SharePoint List that contains data from 80 schools. I need to set data level permission for each user. In other words, when accessing the app User A should see only School A data, when User B should see only School B data, etc. Where can I set this kind of data level of permission?! The only permission setting I see on PowerApps are related to level of control (User, Contributor, Owner).

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Data Level Permission

Hi dbraga,

The required permission cannot be managed in PowerApps. But you can set those permissions in SharePoint site with the sharepoint item level permissions. Then use the connection with the same SharePoint list to create the app.

Restrict users from reading other users' items:

1. Set read access permissions by using the following procedure:
  2. On the toolbar, click Settings, and then click List Settings.
  3. On the Customize List page, click Advanced Settings.
  4. On the List Advanced Settings page, under Item-level Permissions, click one of the following Read access options:
  5. Click All items to allow all users to read all items in the list.
  6. Click Only their own to allow users to read only the items they have created.
  7. Click OK.

For more information about the item-level permissions in SharePoint, please refer to:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Establish-item-level-permissions-703d165a-3ab2-45e5-9bb0-58...

I just tested with this method, and it worked.

As the Owner group of the list, I saw all the items that all users created in this list like this:

1.PNG

As User1, he only see the 2 items that are created by user1 like this:

webwxgetmsgimg.jpg

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi dbraga,

The required permission cannot be managed in PowerApps. But you can set those permissions in SharePoint site with the sharepoint item level permissions. Then use the connection with the same SharePoint list to create the app.

Restrict users from reading other users' items:

1. Set read access permissions by using the following procedure:
  2. On the toolbar, click Settings, and then click List Settings.
  3. On the Customize List page, click Advanced Settings.
  4. On the List Advanced Settings page, under Item-level Permissions, click one of the following Read access options:
  5. Click All items to allow all users to read all items in the list.
  6. Click Only their own to allow users to read only the items they have created.
  7. Click OK.

For more information about the item-level permissions in SharePoint, please refer to:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Establish-item-level-permissions-703d165a-3ab2-45e5-9bb0-58...

I just tested with this method, and it worked.

As the Owner group of the list, I saw all the items that all users created in this list like this:

1.PNG

As User1, he only see the 2 items that are created by user1 like this:

webwxgetmsgimg.jpg

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

ExcelNut
Level: Powered On

I have a similar request.  In our situation, I add ~200 list items each month .  There is a field in the list which differentiates the list items between Company A, Company B, etc... 

Is there a way to have the Item Level Permissions changed to specific permissions lists that corresponds to Company A, Company B, etc....?

I could break permission inheritance on each item and manually change the permissions of each one each month but that is going to be rather tedious for 200 items split between 25 different groups.

I read something about an 'Impersonation Step' that was part of sharepoint designer 2010 that would let you change permissions as part of the workflow.  I then looked in Flow to see if there was anything similar but didn't see anything obvious.

Since Company A, Company B, etc are part of the 'companies list', maybe I could have item level permissions to those items and thereby effectively limit this list?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,777)