cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_garvin
Level 8

Differing app limits by device

I have researched various limits for "ambitious" apps, and think I understand the basics, i.e. keep each app small, push heavy data loads to the server via delegation, etc. Common sense, you can't do treat a smartphone like a tablet or browser-based app.

However, I would also like to know if PowerApps behaves differently in each of these three scenarios.

For example, if I develop and test on my robust PC (Win 10 64-bit) will I run a risk of it overwhelming a contemporary smartphone, even if it has oodles of memory? 

Ditto for an intermediate level Surface tablet.

I know I would need to test for each use-case, but it would be nice to know if the underlying "app player" has the exact same limits, or if the limits are device dependent. I know this is not a very precise question, just looking for general guidance based on experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff sarafankit
PowerApps Staff

Re: Differing app limits by device

If you are not embedding a lot of media (images, audio or video) within the app and not referencing them externally, you should not have to worry about app size at all. An app with even lots of controls but without media will not cross even 2-3 mb.

The easiest way to verify the size of an app, if you still need to, is to save a copy of the app on your Desktop from File and then check the file size.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PowerApps Staff cherie
PowerApps Staff

Hey,

It is possible that an app you develop on your PC doesn't run as well as the app on a mobile device. We don't have any hard limits as it does depend on the device.

However, you can take a look at this post that has some discussion on guidelines

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Maximum-number-of-screens-in-an-app/m-p/66385#M2...

Thanks

Cherie

tom_garvin
Level 8

Thank you, I recognize the post you linked to, obviously I'm continuing with my research.

One point mentioned is app size, which is certainly a no-brainer, resources on mobile devices are significantly lower.

How do I find the actual size of my app?

I have not found this information in the "Details", online, Android and Win 10 Phone don't give me this info.

PowerApps Staff sarafankit
PowerApps Staff

If you are not embedding a lot of media (images, audio or video) within the app and not referencing them externally, you should not have to worry about app size at all. An app with even lots of controls but without media will not cross even 2-3 mb.

The easiest way to verify the size of an app, if you still need to, is to save a copy of the app on your Desktop from File and then check the file size.

View solution in original post

tom_garvin
Level 8

Hey, good answer!

I learned how to save my app as a local file, and that also explains the "browse" option for opening apps.

Additionally, I think this is the only way to back-up an app.

MarisolO
Level: Power Up

From a UI/Accessibility standpoint, I'd shy away from pages that have lots of controls/fields and provide as simple an experience as possible. I usually think about my end to end scenarios through the lens of a phone, and that limits the overcrowded and complex UI which benefits our inclusive user base.

Hope that helps!

-Marisol

tom_garvin
Level 8

I certainly agree, simpler and cleaner is better. Always.

My real issue is with the client, who, quite typically, thinks asking for "more" is always "better".

My background is with Access front-ending to SQL Server (now Azure DB), and inevitable the application evolves to "fat client" mode. There are advantages with a unified desktop application, because you always know where you are, and can only be in one "place" at a time. The downside is in complexity and maintenance costs.

My research this week is partly finding out how far I can push the "envelope", but mostly uncovering legitimate reasons for re-factoring into smaller "apps" or "applets". I was happy to learn of relatively new "Launch" and "Param" features, which will help immensely to tie everything together.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,585)