Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Disambiguation disambiguation NEW VERSION BLUES

Have your Apps "broken" lately?

FYI...seems one of the recent updates changed the way disambiguation works (or the requirement for it).

We had a bunch of Apps that broke recently and discovery showed that it was due to the diambiguation of a column.

Before:

Prep the stage - SharePoint.  myList list with (let's just say) a Title and a lookup column named otherInfo which looked up to another list called otherList.

In the past, on a Gallery, a formula such as this worked:

AddColumns(myList, "OtherInfoRecord", Lookup(otherList, ID=otherInfo.Id))

Now:
In the Gallery - a Label with text set to ThisItem.Title - no problem.  Another Label with text set to ThisItem.OtherInfoRecord.Title - no problem...BEFORE!  Now that label shows nothing in it.

Some Troubleshooting:

Throw it into a Collection

ClearCollect(myCol, AddColumns(myList, "OtherInfo", Lookup(otherList, ID=otherInfo.Id)))

Set the Gallery Items to myCol.  STILL nothing in the Label.

HOWEVER, looking at the Collection viewer, it is CLEARLY there.  Gallery could now care less - will not display it. 

Another test - ClearCollect(myCol, Gallery1.AllItems) The looked up record...not there!

What fixed it?

Had to revisit the formulas on the Galleries and change them to the following:

AddColumns(myList, "OtherInfoRecord", Lookup(otherList, otherList[@ID]=otherInfo.Id))

So, apparently what used to be the record scope for ID related to the otherList Lookup is now seen as the outer record scope of the original myList.

Just thought I would pass this along for anyone struggling with another broken app blues day.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Disambiguation disambiguation NEW VERSION BLUES

Thanks @RandyHayes 

This sounds like a bug, right? Because without fully qualifying ID, it *should* reference the 'nearest' data source, which in this instance is otherList.

AddColumns(myList, "OtherInfoRecord", Lookup(otherList, otherList[@ID]=otherInfo.Id))
Super User
Super User

@timl YES...that was my understanding of Record Scope.  

I suppose on the flip side of it - it does enforce "better formulas", but in this case, the toll was broken apps. Smiley Frustrated

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Super User
Super User

Sorry to hear about the broken apps - that wouldn't have been pleasant.

I did think the same as you though. Moving on forwards, perhaps it's better practice to disambiguate even when unnecessary to minimise the chances of PowerApp changes from breaking apps.

Super User
Super User

@timl 

As a software architect, I totally agree with strongly typed and complete imperative code, but for PowerApps (a platform touted as "no-code"), this concept of being that specific seems to break that concept. It's one more thing that a PowerApp designer needs to know.  The more they have to know, the more that smells like development.  It's one more "gotcha" for the "no-coder" to have to know.  AND, again, all while it "should" (IMHO) be the way that it WAS before this version.

But alas, I've used up my $0.02

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 327 members 6,172 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: