Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joew72
Level: Powered On

Display (and Edit) Many-to-Many Relationships in Model-driven App

Hi folks

I'm fairly new to to PowerApps and could do with a helping hand. I've tried to find the answer to this question but cannot find it on this community or elsewhere but unless I'm missing something, it seems quite important!

I am currently building a Model-driven App for the charity I work for. I have two custom entities - Case and Program. I want a many-to-many relationship between them (as several cases will be taking part in several programs). I've created the many-to-many relationship between these but I now want this to be easy for the user to add, create, manage etc. and the only way I can see them being able to do this is through the Related tab which isn't the easiest UX ever. Is this currently the main way to do this or have I missed something with forms to make it a bit more straightforward?

My workaround is to create several lookups on Case to connect them to several programs (which seems nicer for the user) but this seems like a terrible approach to data management so I'd rather avoid this.

Any suggestions!

Thanks

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joew72

Re: Display (and Edit) Many-to-Many Relationships in Model-driven App

Replying to my own question here in case someone else comes across the problem and is looking for a sort of solution/alternative way of viewing.

I discovered that once I have created any relationship (be it 1:N, N:N or N:1), I can then create a subgrid on a form which can then display related information. 

So, for the above example, I have created a new tab on the Case file called 'Programs' which then displays all the programs a case is related to. I have also done the same on the Programs tab to display all the cases related to a specific program.

Hope this helps anyone one day...and if anyone has any further suggestions, feel free to jump in!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
joew72

Replying to my own question here in case someone else comes across the problem and is looking for a sort of solution/alternative way of viewing.

I discovered that once I have created any relationship (be it 1:N, N:N or N:1), I can then create a subgrid on a form which can then display related information. 

So, for the above example, I have created a new tab on the Case file called 'Programs' which then displays all the programs a case is related to. I have also done the same on the Programs tab to display all the cases related to a specific program.

Hope this helps anyone one day...and if anyone has any further suggestions, feel free to jump in!

View solution in original post

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @joew72 ,

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 252 members 5,965 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: