cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joew72
Level: Powered On

Display (and Edit) Many-to-Many Relationships in Model-driven App

Hi folks

I'm fairly new to to PowerApps and could do with a helping hand. I've tried to find the answer to this question but cannot find it on this community or elsewhere but unless I'm missing something, it seems quite important!

I am currently building a Model-driven App for the charity I work for. I have two custom entities - Case and Program. I want a many-to-many relationship between them (as several cases will be taking part in several programs). I've created the many-to-many relationship between these but I now want this to be easy for the user to add, create, manage etc. and the only way I can see them being able to do this is through the Related tab which isn't the easiest UX ever. Is this currently the main way to do this or have I missed something with forms to make it a bit more straightforward?

My workaround is to create several lookups on Case to connect them to several programs (which seems nicer for the user) but this seems like a terrible approach to data management so I'd rather avoid this.

Any suggestions!

Thanks

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joew72

Re: Display (and Edit) Many-to-Many Relationships in Model-driven App

Replying to my own question here in case someone else comes across the problem and is looking for a sort of solution/alternative way of viewing.

I discovered that once I have created any relationship (be it 1:N, N:N or N:1), I can then create a subgrid on a form which can then display related information. 

So, for the above example, I have created a new tab on the Case file called 'Programs' which then displays all the programs a case is related to. I have also done the same on the Programs tab to display all the cases related to a specific program.

Hope this helps anyone one day...and if anyone has any further suggestions, feel free to jump in!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
joew72

Replying to my own question here in case someone else comes across the problem and is looking for a sort of solution/alternative way of viewing.

I discovered that once I have created any relationship (be it 1:N, N:N or N:1), I can then create a subgrid on a form which can then display related information. 

So, for the above example, I have created a new tab on the Case file called 'Programs' which then displays all the programs a case is related to. I have also done the same on the Programs tab to display all the cases related to a specific program.

Hope this helps anyone one day...and if anyone has any further suggestions, feel free to jump in!

View solution in original post

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @joew72 ,

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (1,820)