cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C5_RobBrown
Level: Powered On

Displaying data from a specific version of a SharePoint list record

I am working on a PowerApp which amongst other things maintains a multi-user approval workflow.

This workflow repeatedly modifies data in a specific SharePoint list, which has versioning enabled.

From SharePoint I can see all the versions of each record in the list & my aim now is to be able to present the data from a specific version of a list record back to users of the PowerApp, probably in a form (there are quite a few fields).

NB: The version I would like to display for a record will contain the data as it was when approved or rejected, prior to any further amendments of the record... It is worth noting that the version number will not always be the same & it won't always be the latest version - Updates to records are permitted after approval/rejection.

My initial hope was that somehow I could grab the version number of the list record at the point when it was created, store that away & then latterly pass that through to a connection query as a parameter whenever I want to display the data. But unless someone knows of something I've missed in my research, this doesn't seem to simple.

I have read various posts about using http requests in Flow & PowerBI to report on SharePoint list versions, but I confess I'm getting a little lost in the mire of other peoples' part successes & frustrations!

I guess my question is really 2 part:

How might I capture the version number of a SharePoint list record at a point in time, preferably from a button in the PowerApp (which could trigger a Flow if required)?

How might I display data from a specific version number of a SharePoint list record in PowerApps?

Alternative strategies to achieve the desired result also welcomed!

Thanks for you time.

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Displaying data from a specific version of a SharePoint list record

@C5_RobBrown 

Yes, there are still quite a few features of SharePoint that, while wonderful, are not supported in PowerApps.  At the moment we have workarounds and alternative options to try and combat the needs.  But, PowerApps keeps growing and getting better all the time.  I have no doubt that the team has these type of features on the work list...they just take time.  And, keep in mind, the SharePoint side is always changing too...so, hard to keep pace.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@C5_RobBrown 

Unfortunately, working with SharePoint version history is not available in PowerApps.

You can put together some workarounds by using flow at this time.

You might want to take a look at (and vote on) this idea for working with version history in the idea forum.

I know it's not a direct answer, but I hope it is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
C5_RobBrown

Thank you @RandyHayes ... Yes, that was one of the http requests posts I was looking at. I think I'll have a punt at getting that workaround working, though at the moment I don't have a method to establish to establish the version number to look up without manually looking it up from the list in question in SharePoint.

Starting to think I'd have been better commissioning a SQL Server database instead of using SharePoint lists - They just seemed so handy with some of the data I wanted to manage already being there, the inherent security (same users of the PowerApp to the SharePoint site) & thought they ought to work/support all the functionality you'd likely want out of the box, what with SharePoint, PowerApps, Flow & PowerBI all being MS & somewhat touted as winning combo... More fool me!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@C5_RobBrown 

Yes, there are still quite a few features of SharePoint that, while wonderful, are not supported in PowerApps.  At the moment we have workarounds and alternative options to try and combat the needs.  But, PowerApps keeps growing and getting better all the time.  I have no doubt that the team has these type of features on the work list...they just take time.  And, keep in mind, the SharePoint side is always changing too...so, hard to keep pace.

View solution in original post

C5_RobBrown

Appreciated. We shall work with what we have for now. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,891)