cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Documentation

Anybody have any good tips for documenting their Apps?

I have about 35 going now and I don't even remember what some of them do half the time. I am the only one in my company who builds them or works on them so I really need to get better documenation on them if something ever happend to me or just for myself to save time when I go back in to do maintenance. 

Just curious how others are documenting their apps. 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Documentation

Hi @rebeccas,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

In order to document your app, you could consider to provide a description when you save your app within your PowerApps as below:1.JPG

then when you edit/maintenance your app, you could know what this app do via clicking "Setting" option of an app in PowerApps web portal:2.JPG

In addition, within your app, you could also consider comment formulas (that you used within your app) provide help to those who inspect it later. Please check the following blog for more details:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/comment-your-powerapps-code/

Please check and see if the following blog would also help in your scenario:

http://toddbaginski.com/blog/powerapps-coding-guidelines/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

I'm looking more at documenting what happens and variables stuff like that. 

I have recently started making a hidden screen that shows my variables that are used and what they relate to. 

When I build an app it makes perfect sense what I did and why but then I do three more, maybe decide I like a different way of doing something and two months later I go back and can't remember what I did and why. Then I have to spend 20 min clicking through the screens in edit mode to remember what all it does before I can make changes to it. I would just like to start doing better at documenting the things that are going on behind the scenes.

Thanks! 

Super User
Super User

@rebeccasYou might check out this thread for a pretty cool documentation example. If you look at the post with the link titled "Leakidator manual.docx", click that link. (You should be able to scroll up from the link I gave but if not it should be like the third or fourth post down.) @AlCado does some masterful documentation there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 182 members 5,025 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: