cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BlackDuck
Level: Power Up

DropDown selection in Email body for powerapp

Hi I have a very simple power app which is essentially a 'contact us' form that gets emailed to me.

It has a drop down selection which users can specify why they are contacting us (eg feedback, asking a question, requesting something new), a text field where they can put their email address (so i can respond) and then a text field they can provide their comments. I then have a button which sends an email to me with the content of their message. I have successfully got the email button working which includes the body of their comments and their email address. 

My question:

I want the dropdown selection to be included as the 'subject' of the email i receive ... but when i try i get an error, any suggestions? also please be simple in your explanations, this is my first powerapp and i am a complete noob.

THANK YOU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: DropDown selection in Email body for powerapp

Hello @BlackDuck and welcome!

Without seeing the code you are using, I am going to take a shot in the dark and suggest what it could be. To access the text from a drop down named Dropdown1 you would use the following:

Dropdown1.Selected.Value

That will give the literal text that is selected in the drop down. To add it to another text string, you would use something like:

"Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value

If you were using the Office365.SendEmail function, putting it in your subject line would look something like this:

Office365.SendEmail("myemail@mycompany.com", "Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value, "Here is the text of the email")

or

Office365.SendEmail(emailAddress.Text, "Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value, emailText.Text)

How it looks between those two will depend a bit on how your app is set up and I would be happy to follow up on this to work out the specifics of your situation if you would be able to provide an example of what you are trying code-wise. For starters though, I would make sure you are using Dropdown1.Selected.Value and not just Dropdown1.Selected.

Hope that helps, but let me know if it doesn't!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hello @BlackDuck and welcome!

Without seeing the code you are using, I am going to take a shot in the dark and suggest what it could be. To access the text from a drop down named Dropdown1 you would use the following:

Dropdown1.Selected.Value

That will give the literal text that is selected in the drop down. To add it to another text string, you would use something like:

"Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value

If you were using the Office365.SendEmail function, putting it in your subject line would look something like this:

Office365.SendEmail("myemail@mycompany.com", "Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value, "Here is the text of the email")

or

Office365.SendEmail(emailAddress.Text, "Email subject: " & Dropdown1.Selected.Value, emailText.Text)

How it looks between those two will depend a bit on how your app is set up and I would be happy to follow up on this to work out the specifics of your situation if you would be able to provide an example of what you are trying code-wise. For starters though, I would make sure you are using Dropdown1.Selected.Value and not just Dropdown1.Selected.

Hope that helps, but let me know if it doesn't!

View solution in original post

BlackDuck
Level: Power Up

Legend this worked!

My problem was i was inputing 'dropdown1.Selected' i hadn't added the '.Value' at the end - thank you so much!!!

Super User
Super User

Happy I could help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,875)