cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connor
Level: Powered On

Dropdown dummy options tied to real values

Hi there, 

Is it possible to have a Dropdown display "dummy" values which are tied to a real values? 

My goal is to have a Textbox display the selection of the Dropdown box; however, the real values are primary keys and don't mean anything to a user.  I want to display in the Dropdown a value like "Banana" and have the Textbox show B1 which is the primary key of "Banana".

My formulas are:
Textbox

Dropdown2.Selected.Value

DropDown

Distinct(Products1,ProductID)

Thanks for your help and advice. I am new to PowerApps and learning the basics still.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Dropdown dummy options tied to real values

Hi Connor,

Yes, this is possible. The way to do this is to set the Items property of your dropdown to a data source that includes both your ID and Text values.  Let's say that you set the Items property of your dropdown to a 'Products' table that looks like this:

Products.PNG

In your dropdown, you would set the Value property to the field that you want to display (ProductDesc in this example).

Products1.PNG

In your textbox, you can then retrieve the ProductID using the following syntax:

Dropdown2.Selected.ProductID

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Dropdown dummy options tied to real values

Hi Connor,

Yes, this is possible. The way to do this is to set the Items property of your dropdown to a data source that includes both your ID and Text values.  Let's say that you set the Items property of your dropdown to a 'Products' table that looks like this:

Products.PNG

In your dropdown, you would set the Value property to the field that you want to display (ProductDesc in this example).

Products1.PNG

In your textbox, you can then retrieve the ProductID using the following syntax:

Dropdown2.Selected.ProductID

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,072)