cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rolly
Level: Powered On

Re: End Users receive pop-up asking for permission when launching Power Apps

Hi,

I have been working with PowerApps over the last little while given that Microsoft have given up on Infopath and don't really have a form solution (Forms (Preview) is all but useless). Suffice to say, it is completely unworkable to deploy a "forms" solution and expect our 900+ nursing staff to have to go through the confusing process of needing to sign-in to request permissions to access a basic sharepoint list. This should all be transparent to the user. We have access to 2 top Microsoft resources who are part of our fasttrack deployment process. I keep asking for Microsoft roadmap in terms of a forms solution but the best I get is a few blogs abour PowerApps. I have been trying to keep track of the multiple limitations with PowerApps to try and give some feedback to MS. It's not a finished product and doesnt work well with SharePoint. the bottom line is that any form solution should be easy to use and not require any addition login once logged into SharePoint nor any additional licence to be assigned which is another suprising limitation. Lastly, users outside of the organisation should be able to access a powerapp without credentials. The SharePoint connector should do all the permission brokering. We are going to need to go with a third party product I believe. You can waste hours and hours fiddling around with PowerApps and especially  the specific licence and permission requirements.  You will notice that when you embed a powerapp that it can take a while to load. This is because its doing an additional login behind the scenes even though a user would have already logged in. Not making sense right now. InfoPath just works. R

DannaT

I'm encountering similar issues/disgruntlements with how this works. I actually just had to throw away an app because the initial screens to create the connections and then permit the app were too confusing for the end users. 

The first time a user accesses an app that has a SP Online connection they are presented with THREE prompts. First is to Sign In (why? they are already logged into 365), second is to Create the connection (the most confusing as it's a description of the SharePoint connector which means nothing to the user), and third is to Allow the app to use the connection (least problematic, people are used to giving apps permissions to run). People gave up.

My question then is this: Is there ANY WAY at all to create these connections on the behalf of the users? That way they'd be presented with just ONE prompt, which is to give the app permissions. And from there, why doesn't this connector type work the same as others (SQL for example), where I can share the connector itself and not expect the user to create one?

Thank you

ThreeTen

@DannaT
cant help you with the Sign In part. But I may have a workaround by essentially using the "PowerApps Notification" connector that is auto shareable (similar to a sql database connection).
You essentially have a client-side app, and a "back-end" app that actually connects and modifies the sharepoint list.  The clientside app would then send related push notifications to the backend app that, upon recieving the related info, can work with that info(and perhaps vice versa).  If it is a forms application, I am assuming that the info being sent between apps is small enough.  If you need basic user info when sending, use "User()" on the client-side app.

I dunno, worth a shot at least.

dluzzi

We are also having a holdup deploying an app with that prompt causing a bad experiance for users.  I posted on the ideas page to get this looked at.  Not sure if anyone else has posted there as well.  Lets get some upvotes.

Highlighted
IanHudson

I just completed my first powerapp sharepoint form only to run into this.....disapointing.....this will definetely confuse end users....they get not one, but 3 screens:

one asks for permissions

then one prompts them to create the connection

and then finally, one prompts them to allow.......

cue the helpdesk tickets......."I tried to use your new form and I get these weird pop ups - should I do it?" said the employee who has been trained to never blindly click on an "allow" button, well, becuase it's 2018........

Thanks,
Ian Hudson
cchambers

Just ran into this issue myself, unfortunately this is a deal breaker because it will confuse the end-users. I also really don't want to publicize database names if I can avoid it.

I really don't understand why the end user needs to give permission to access a SQL database they have no control over anyway.

Suds

Is there any update on below reported issue, as same is being faced by me and looking for a option to supress the message to allow access to SharePoint data

nbarsley1

I agree that it is a confusing experience. We had to publish a step by step document for our users to explain how to initially log in which was disappointing since our apps are supposed to be intuitive. We spent some time trying to find a way to push out connections to users before we deploy our apps but were unable to find any solutions. 

nbarsley1

I agree that it is a confusing experience. We had to publish a step by step document for our users to explain how to initially log in which was disappointing since our apps are supposed to be intuitive. We spent some time trying to find a way to push out connections to users before we deploy our apps but were unable to find any solutions. 

cchambers

Has anybody been able to come up with a workaround?

I've tried pulling the connections into Flow and using the "Respond to Powerapps" action, but any actions within the Flow still trigger permissions requests within Powerapps, which puts me back at square one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 288 members 4,717 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: