cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam0
Level: Powered On

Error Occurred on the Server — but no List limits are exceeded

Hello all,

I began seeing a red error message on a new form I began work on yesterday, but I cannot find an explanation! The error message indicates only that an error has occurred, and not much more than that. I researched this error message string and concluded that some kind of list threshold has been exceeded, but I can't find out what threshold that is.

This link indicates that there are several dozens of columns of each type that should be okay. I thought maybe because none of my fields are required that this would be an issue. However, after re-requiring the Title column this issue persisted. I recall previously that a list required at least one single line of text. I guess this is no longer the case? I created a test list and a test form and it gave no fuss over the Title field/any other field being required.

At any rate, the only other messages I've found about this are related to having too many lookup fields, or the message marked as an answer was not an answer:

Too many lookup columns  – I only have four lookup columns, and another of my lists with more lookup columns is behaving well enough.

"Issue resolved, no idea why" – no answer

Fixed by adding a redundant data source and changing all formulas to it – this answer, while plausible and also frustrating, didn't work for me (see screenshots).

"Couldn't reproduce the issue, try recreating everything from scratch!" – this cannot be an answer. It was working yesterday.

Simply put, if I have to delete the data source and re-link it, all my data cards are shot! All the formulas are shot! 

This is every column in my list (I don't see how I could be over one of the limits):

Single line of text
Person or Group
Single line of text
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Date and Time
Choice
Lookup
Lookup
Currency
Lookup
Lookup
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Multiple lines of text
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Date and Time
Yes/No
Person or Group
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Currency
Person or Group
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Choice
Hyperlink or Picture
Single line of text
Number
Number
Number
Number
Number
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Single line of text
Date and Time
Date and Time
Person or Group
Person or Group

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.20.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.40.44 PM.png

I really appreciate anybody taking the time to investigate this issue. It's quite silly. I don't have time to recreate an entire form from scratch. That kind of timesink wasn't a part of the deal!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Error Occurred on the Server — but no List limits are exceeded

This happened to me today as well. I can't tell you why, but I can show you how to capture it in action if it occurs in the future so that reporting it on the forums is more effective. 

• Use Chrome browser
  • Once your app loads, open Chrome Dev Tools
  • Click Network
  • Look for errors. 

You'll have to poke around a bit in the Dev Tools if its your first time. The Dev Tools will crash if you reload the app, so you can only open Dev Tools after the app has loaded. 

See a short GIF I posted here today of the tool in action. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

This happened to me today as well. I can't tell you why, but I can show you how to capture it in action if it occurs in the future so that reporting it on the forums is more effective. 

• Use Chrome browser
  • Once your app loads, open Chrome Dev Tools
  • Click Network
  • Look for errors. 

You'll have to poke around a bit in the Dev Tools if its your first time. The Dev Tools will crash if you reload the app, so you can only open Dev Tools after the app has loaded. 

See a short GIF I posted here today of the tool in action. 

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @sam0,

Do you create a custom form for your SP list using PowerApps?

According to the screenshot that you provided, I suppose that you created a custom SP list form using PowerApps, is it true?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:3.JPG

Please check if the DataSource property of the SharePointForm1 (Edit Form control) and the SharePointIntegration control are both set to following formula:

ManagerSearchActivity

Note: The 'ManagerSearchActivity' is represents your SP list name.

In addition, please also take a try to clear cache of your browser and re-customize a form for your SP list, then try again to check if the issue is solved. 

You could also take a try to customize a form for your SP list within another browser, then check if the issue still exists.

More details about customizing a SharePoint list form using PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/customize-list-form

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sam0
Level: Powered On

Interesting! I had looked at the Dev Tools as well, but didn't notice this message till now. I must not have given it enough time.

\message\: \The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns it contains exceeds the lookup column threshold enforced by the administrator.

Looks like the Person or Group fields are considered Lookup columns. I found this in SharePoint documentation:

1. What classifies as Lookup columns: Standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns , Workflow Status , Created by , Modified by ( people ) are obviously counted as lookup columns .

I find it interesting that Person or Group fields are obviously lookup columns... Oh well.

Super User
Super User

Nice work! One step closer to having actual PowerApps debugging documented!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 141 members 5,431 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: