cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AShep
Level: Powered On

Error after deployment to Prod

Hi All,

We have a Powerapps for Office 365 plan and 2 instances of an App (one pointing to TEST database and another to PROD database).

A week ago we deployed the app pointing to PROD and it was working fine until we did the deployment again today.

When I mean deployment, I mean that we Exported and Imported the package in the same environment and changed the data source to point to PROD.

As I mentioned before, it worked perfectly last week. Today, because of a hotfix we had to do the deployment process again and now all of a sudden the app started showing licensing issues.

I am unsure as to what went wrong here. Please guide me.

Thanks,

AShep

START A FREE POWERAPPS PREMIUM TRIAL

This app uses features that come with a PowerApps premium plan. Start a trial to use these features.

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Re: Error after deployment to Prod

Can you check what connections are required for the App since it was changed?

Are you using Azure SQL (which is now a premium connector)?

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
AShep
Level: Powered On

Yes, we use SQL server connection and it has started showing as PREMIUM there.

Isn't there a transition period for this? Would we have to switch right over?

Thanks,

AShep

Super User
Super User

I'm sorry to hear that.. as any Apps and connections that were created prior to October 2019 were given a transition period until October, 2024 - but because you imported, this is considered a New App and now requires premium licensing.

If you still have the old App, I would try use that and update it within the App rather than importing.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
Sofie_D
Level 8

@iAm_ManCat I have been told the app gets grandfathered based on it's ID, shouldn't the ID stay the same when updating through importing a package?
I have an app with SQL connection in a development, staging and production environment. Does this mean if I update it in development, to get the changes in staging and production I have to do it manually for the next 5 years, as importing will remove the grandfathering?

Super User
Super User

AppID remains the same when importing if the original App is chosen to be Updated, rather than a new one created.

It was my understanding that importing would see the connection as new, however, I don't have personal experience on this, only knowledge from following the threads and blog/documentation updates.

@Pstork1 could you please give your insight into this? You have far greater knowledge than I do of the new licensing and how the grandfathering is applied and may be able to shed some light onto why they are experiencing this.

Sofie_D
Level 8

@iAm_ManCat I don't remember where I read this, but someone from Microsoft posted that all apps with a SQL connection where grandfathered based on their AppID, and that you could then add new Tables, Views or even other SQL connections to the app without that influencing the fact that the app is grandfathered. 
I'd just like confirmation that I can update the apps through importing before actually trying it, since about 200 people are using the app every day.

Super User
Super User

Yes, that was confirmed by PowerApps staff here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements-Formerly/New-PowerApps-and-Flow-Licensing-com...

However, I could find no other information about whether importing would affect this. It could be that there's some other issue that caused the connection to change?

Have you tried raising a support ticket with Microsoft directly using the Admin Portal (or ask IT to do this if you don't have access) as it may just be a bug - if the ID has not changed then it should still fall within the scope of grandfathering (if we go by what has been shared by Microsoft about it)

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes, I believe its supposed to work that way.  Just be aware that there seems to be an issue with that support at the moment.  I saw a report from someone yesterday who had edited an app to add some tables to an existing SQL connection.  It then started prompting them to get a Trial license. They checked with MS and we were told that they should be able to edit the app in that way without being prompted for premium.  So its being checked out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,971)