cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikele-
Level: Powered On

Expense Report questions

I am using the Expense Report PowerApp provided by Microsoft and have some questions

1) How does the filter on the Report work? It seems to be related to the Filter icon/button, but I can't understand how it actually achieves to show the different items based on their status

In my tests, a user can see his own open/submitted/approved but also those where he is the approver or has approved (open/pending/approved)

FlowExpense-Q2.JPG

2) Who sets the Status to Pending? I thought this would happen when the submit button is pressed but it doesn't seem to be the case

FlowExpense-Q4.JPG

3) Why does the Apply filter check if the EditExpenseForm is valid?

In my case the Cost Centre field was empty and the button showed as greyed out

FlowExpense-Q3.JPG

Thought I mention @K-A-R-L and @RandyHayes as I noticed they've helped in similar threads

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Expense Report questions

Hi @Mikele- ,

Do you create a canvas app based on the "My Expense" tempate app?

For your first question, actually, when you load the Expense template app, it would initialize a collection variable as data source within this app. The screenshot as below:12.JPG

Within the Expenses2 collection data source, there is a "Status" column, which used to identify each Expense's status.

So if you want to change the Expense2 collection data source into your own data source, you need to configure your data source as following data structure firstly:13.JPG

When filter Expense2 records based on the Status value, it use a global variable ExpenseStatus to store the status value, then compare it with the Status column in the Expense2 collection within the Filter function.

If your own data source is a SP list, and you use a Choice type column to store the status value, you should add "Pending", "Approved" and "Open" as avaiable options.

For your second question, I think your thought is right. When you click "SUBMIT" button within the ViewReport screen, the UpdateIf(...) function would update the selected Expense record's status to "Pending":15.JPG

For your third question, on my template app, there is no same issue as you. On my side, the screenshot as below:16.JPG

I think there may have some updates within the "My Expense" template app in PowerApps, please consider re-create a canvas app based on the "My Expense" template app, then check if the issue is solved:17.JPG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Mikele-

Hi _ Kris Dai @v-xida-msft 

Thanks for your response.

I think my first problem is the template I am using. I have used the one from here and it looks like it's missing a few things compared to your screnshots. And yes I do use a SP list, basically all the same as in the article.

I also don't see the template for expenses, how can I get it?

PowerApps-Templates.JPG

OnStart I don't seem to have the same initialisation

PowerApps-Expenses-OnStart.JPG

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Mikele- ,

Based on the screenshot that you mentioned, I think you have chosen a wrong template app.

On your side, please take a try with the following steps to create your canvas app based on "My Expense" template:

1. Go to your PowerApps Portal.

2. Click "All Templates" option within the Home panel as below:20.JPG

3. Within the Template app lists, click "All" category, then find the "My Expense" template app as below:21.JPG

Please take a try with above solution, then check if it could help in your scenario.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Mikele-

Thanks @v-xida-msft I have the new template now.

How do I remove the current entries and use a SP list?

I have noticed the current entries are in the Collections

Do I just add the new Data Sources or do I first need to remove the current data?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Mikele- ,

Do you want to use your own data source (e.g. SP lists) rather than the detault Collection as data source within this template app?

If you want to use your own data source (e.g. SP lists) rather than the detault Collection as data source within this template app, you need to create SP List and configure it as same data structure with the default collection.

After that, add your SP Lists data source into this app, then replace the default Collection data source used within all formulas in your app with your own SP List data source.

Best regards,

Mikele-

HI @v-xida-msft ,

I already have the SP list (Expenses and LineItems) setup with the required columns as explained here

I have also added them as new data source, but when I change the formulas it doesn't seem to work

Expenses4-2.jpgExpenses4-1.jpg

Expenses4-3.jpg

Mikele-

Hi @v-xida-msft are you able to help on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,931)