cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vbotev
Level: Powered On

Export to PDF WITHOUT using Flow

Hello,

For one urgent app, the decision that PowerApps is a solution for us was made in July and developing started.

Since the 1st of October 2019, the pricing has changed and now if I want to export to PDF using flow I have to pay 2 licenses.
This makes it quite unprofitable and the need to find a workaround imperative.

Has anybody tried/knows a way to export data accessible from PowerApps to PDF without using Microsoft Flow?

Thank you! 

14 REPLIES 14
Super User
Super User

Re: Export to PDF WITHOUT using Flow

There's a guide by Paul Culmsee that uses the user's Onedrive storage to convert to PDF - have you tried that yet?

https://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2018/03/09/three-ways-to-convert-html-to-pdf-using-microsoft-flow/

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
vbotev

All I saw was 3 ways to do that using Flow. I explicitly mentioned that I am looking for a workaround (No Flow).

Eelman
Level 8

You can export your doc as a HTML doc to somewhere OneDrive / SharePoint / Email / other and then manually convert to PDF. There are some free PDF converters online. I didn't this recently.

i don't think you can convert to PDF via an automated process using only PowerApps

vbotev

Thanks. I already exported the needed info from PA as a JSON, and then loaded and formated it in Excel, from then I could export it as PDF. But that's a very long process. The whole purpose of using and paying for PowerApps is defeated since Excel does what I want much quicker.

Jdriele
Level 8

As far I as know, there are no free good solution. For my company, if I receive such needs on my desk, it's will be a "easy".

1- A local server to convert html in pdf

2- A Default corporate CSS3 Page media

3- Apps store html + txt file with conversion information

4- Server read new files on a folder then convert

5- File is sent to the right place (depending on txt file)

mogulman
Level 8

You don't mention where your data resides.  If it is Azure SQL DB you may be able to use Azure Functions (AF).  The PA would update some bit field in DB requesting a PDF.  In order to not use flow the AF would run every so often ( 5min) searching database for bit field.  If it sees it pull data and use C# to create PDF.  You can email PDF or save to a storage location.  There are numerous C# libraries to do this.  AF price is based on usage.  It is relatively cheap.  I wish PA used a similar pricing model.

ESGary

I generate Word docs using Azure Queues, Azure Blob Storage and Azure Functions (Azure Blob and Azure Queue connectors are premium though, so watch out for that).

Within PowerApps there is a button which when clicked checks if a blob exists in Azure storage.

1. If it exists, it uses Launch to download the file through their browser.
  2. If not, it writes the ID of the current record to an Azure Storage Queue. I have an Azure Function that watches that queue and generates the file. 

If the file doesn't exist (i.e. option 2 above) I use a Notify to tell the user that their file is being generated and to click the button again in a few seconds. Seems to work a treat!

I should mention that my data is in Azure SQL.

vbotev

No, unfortunately its on SQL Server.

vbotev

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

Is there a free way to export a pdf 😕 ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 306 members 5,743 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: