cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mogulman
Level 8

Re: Export to PDF WITHOUT using Flow

If it is on-premise SQL Server:

1. Have PA set a bit in table to produce PDF.

2. Have on-premise server process read DB table looking for bit at an interval (say 5 min) and trigger a convert process

3. Create process to read DB, get info and format PDF.

4. Email PDF to user.

Now I would do this in C# but Python would also work.

mogulman
Level 8

Another option is to use a desktop computer with Excel or Word.  Create an addin using VBA and produce a document and save to PDF.  I actual do this to create complex reports with graphs/tables/pivottables based on PA data in Azure SQL data but you can easily change connection to local SQL Server.  I use Task Scheduler to run at a  specified time.  The only problem with this it isn't a cloud solution.

Super User
Super User

I just wanted to clarify my previous statement - using PowerApps Free and Flow Free (the free version that comes with office365 licenses), and then using the OneDrive for business create/convert actions, you should be able to pass HTML from PowerApps into Flow, and then use that user's OneDrive for business to convert the file...

image.png

I know you said you were looking for a workaround, but your reason for a workaround was the cost of licensing, and this method should not require anything other than a free license.

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
vbotev
Level: Powered On

Hi,

Yes, this is the exact way I am doing it now. But my colleague responsible for the licenses told me that we need to pay an extra license for Flow. This info came from some Microsoft Support. We all have 365 licenses and I as a developer have plan 2 for PA.

Super User
Super User

If this is the only Flow-based request you are doing, then you will definitely not need a Flow (Power Automate) license.

How do I know this? I am both the one in charge of licenses, and I am the only developer here at my company, and I have made Flows like this before. We have one paid Plan 2 license, everyone else in the company uses the Office365-based free licenses for PowerApps and Flow.

We have plans for later use of more advanced features like AI, but at present, we do not need them.

An easy way to test if you need a license - get your IT to create a new account with only a basic office365 license and a Flow free and Powerapps free license.. create and share a simple app with them that only does this one conversion task.

If they need a license, the App will not work for them and will not create that PDF.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 135 members 5,354 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: