cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mokhawaja
Level 8

Filter function become non delegable when using a lookup field

The filter function becomes non delegable when filtering using the complex type lookup field in CDS and shows the blue dot...

Screenshot (21).png

in the above screenshot... the entity contains more than 2000 records, and to test the filter function i tested it against data that falls after the first 500 records and put only 5 records that meet the criteria in the first 500 records... and the result was only the first 5 records that are in the first 500!!!

i checked the delegation article in the documentation and could not find any information about this limitation in the filter function (which could also be present in other functions like lookup and sort!!)

so please guys... help us on this issue and recheck the documentation.

best regards,

Mohammad

17 REPLIES 17
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Filter function become non delegable when using a lookup field

Hi @mokhawaja,

Thanks for the feedback.

Issue confirmed, lookup field is not supported delegation when working with Data Srouces, like CDS, SharePoint List.

I will collect this as a content request.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mokhawaja
Level 8

hi @v-micsh-msft,

is there any updates in this issue?

i finished my app, and it contains lots of Filter functions... in which some times i have to use the lookup field this is an example:

Filter(MedReps, Active=true ,TeamLeader.PrimaryId=Label5.Text).MedRepName

which will have the blue dot and blue underline (under PrimaryId)!

and i have growing records of more than 150 per day, which means within afew days the data cannot be seen (at least using these functions)

so i kindly ask to prioritize the issue of delegation in CDS, and if this issue is solved... it is going to be a huge addtion to CDS and PowerApps. 

regards,

Mohammad

Highlighted
idcampbell
Level: Powered On

How were you able to successfully filter on a lookup field? My formula below does not except '=' as a valid operator and 'in' or 'exactin' is not valid for the data type (where Project_TypeNew is the lookup field)

Filter(Projects, Active=true ,Projects.Project_TypeNew=SearchProjectInput.Text).Project_TypeNew

Any thoughts?

mokhawaja
Level 8

Hi @idcampbell,

may be you should try the following:

Filter(Projects, Active=true ,Project_TypeNew.PrimaryId = SearchProjectInput.Text).Project_TypeNew

please let me know if it works! oterwise give more description on data structure and what you intend to do.

regards,

Mohammad

idcampbell

For whatever reason Power Apps does not recognize the "active=true" portion in your formula, so I removed it and got this:

Filter(Projects, ProjectType_New.Id = SearchProjectInput.Text).ProjectType_New

Now, what's interesting is there are no syntax errors. There is a warning that Id is numeric and SearchProjectInput.Text is text but the filter statements still does not yield any results.

Basically I have a list called Projects with a column called Projects.ProjectType_New. This is a lookup column with text values. I want to be able to filter on this so in essence the user can search by the values in the lookup column associated with a list item in the Projects list.

Thanks again for your help.

mokhawaja
Level 8

Hi @idcampbell,

can you please provide more info on your situation:

1. is your data based on CDS?

2. if you provide some sample data and screenshot i might be more able to help.

regards,

Mohammad

idcampbell

I'm glad you asked if I was using CDS. Initially no, I was using SharePoint lists for which the formula never worked on a lookup field. When I use a CDS database I can use the following formula to search on a lookup field (with warnings of course)

Filter(Projects,Or(IsBlank(SearchProjectInput.Text),ProjectType in (SearchProjectInput.Text))

I think for support purposes I am going to continue to build my app using CDS moving forward. It seems to be more flexible. Now I am wondering if the 500 record search limitation applies to CDS data and my guess is 'yes' 😞

mokhawaja
Level 8

Hi @idcampbell,

unfortunately the limitation of 500 records is for all data types... any how can you try the following formula:

Filter(Projects, ProjectType_New.Id in Search(ProjectType_New, ProjectInput.Text, "ProjectTypeName").id)

where the "ProjectTypeName" is the column name where the serch function should work (and it should of txt type) and if it works this also should work:

Filter(Projects, Active=true, ProjectType_New.Id in Search(ProjectType_New, ProjectInput.Text, "ProjectTypeName").id)

hope this works

regards,

Mohammad

idcampbell

Thanks for your ideas @mokhawaja.

Unfortunately I think the search function won't allow for searching on either a SharePoint lookup or a choice field. I tried your formula examples to no avail, so I tried simplifying the formula:

Search(Projects,"","ProjectType_New") generates an error on the ProjectType_New field "Wrong column type. Expects txt type". The text() syntax does not work either. If a replace the field ProjectType_New with a valid text field the search function works.

If in fact CDS allows for filtering on a lookup field, then IMO SharePoint should as well. How dissapointing. This field is a critical piece of data for my application.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,636)