cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gottijay2000
Level: Powered On

Filtering Peoples Column in a SharePoint List

i have a sharepoint list called BaseInformation that has a Field "TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn" that holds multiple users that have been assigned to each item in the list. i just want to be able to filter the peoples column by email without recieving the delegation error messages. I have read from other sources that i need to seperate the lookup function from the Filter function. Seems like a good suggestion but i am not sure how to go about this since i need to do the lookup in the context of the base information. Any ideas wiould be much appreciated. 

Filter(BaseInformation, LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" ).Email = "jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk"  )
14 REPLIES 14
jhall
Level 8

Re: Filtering Peoples Column in a SharePoint List

Well, Filter, Search and LookUp can all be delegated.  So using LookUp and Filter shouldn't be a problem.

You can test where the problem is by assigning your results to a Collection of the inner function and then consuming that value in the 2nd (vs. having them merged as you have).

For example:

UpdateContext({LookUpValue:LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" ).Email});
Filter(BaseInformation, LookupValue = "jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" )

I'm guessing that you might fix this by changing this segment:

LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" ).Email

to this:

LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk",Email )

The two are essentially the same, but it might be the source of the environment thinking there's a delegation issue.

Super User
Super User

Hi @jhall 

I believe that all SharePoint "Choice" type columns will trigger a delegation warning.  

jhall
Level 8

@Drrickryp That certainly could be it. 

Gottijay2000

thanks @jhall 

i tried your solution and still got the same delegation warning. Any other walk arounds you can think of or is this something we have to live with?

i tried to get the value stored in a variable also but not still not sure how you can directly access a filed in a list without being in the context of the list

UpdateContext({LookUpValue:LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" ).Email});

newpeter0

Filter(BaseInformation, LookUp( TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn.Email, Email="jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" ).Email = "jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk"  )

From what I gather, author of the post wants to filter on List, that contains Peoples Column.   He needs to find all rows, that contain jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk in that column (TestAssignement_PoplesColumn), that is why there is LookUp inside of filter (TestAssignement_PoplesColumn is seen by PowerApp as a list ), so author can get down to one single email and than compare it with "jennie.doe@whatever.co.uk" string. Is that correct? 

Gottijay2000

@newpeter0 thats exactly the problem i'm facing

jhall
Level 8

Look at @Drrickryp 's answer and that might be what you're running into.  The source of your LookUp:

TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn

If that is a Choice column in SharePoint, then that could be the issue.

Gottijay2000

@jhall if i understand you correctly people columns are also classed as Choice type fields?

TestAssignement_PeoplesColumn
jhall
Level 8

I'm not 100% certain as I haven't tried it to verify if a "People" column in SharePoint has the same issue as a "Choice" column.  What type of SharePoint data field is it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,822)