cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiKeZZa
Level: Powered On

Filtering data in PowerApps based on Power BI

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to PowerApps but making some nice things right now. Now I want to include a PowerApps app into a PowerBI report. So far no problems; 

pbi_working_good.png 

But now I want to filter the data in the app when I click something in PowerBI. Lets say that I select 'Needs action next week' in the pie chart I only want to see the corresponding records in the App (so that means Frank and Jan).

I've been trying many things and I've found out that I have to pass the Power BI info to the app by dropping the info into the PowerApps data:

pbi_connecting.png

And then you have to make a change to the formula for the Items that belong to the BrowseGallery. I've tried (because I found this online) this statement: Filter(BrowseGallery1,Gallery1.Selected.Status=Status).

But this doesn't work:

pbi_problem.png

So now I have some questions

1. Is what I try to achieve possible?
  2. How can I achieve this?
  3. Items already had some content:
    SortByColumns(Search('[dbo].[Messages]'; TextSearchBox1.Text; "Client";"Client"); "Client"; If(SortDescending1; Descending; Ascending))
    because of filtering and sorting of columns. Is it possible to merge the answer of question 2 with this statement?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff sarafankit
PowerApps Staff

Re: Filtering data in PowerApps based on Power BI

Hi @MiKeZZa - The answer you are looking for is actually described in this blog post - https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerbi-powerapps-visual/

You would need to do the following:

• Launch the PowerApps app in edit mode from inside your Power BI report. Select the ... on the PowerApps custom visual and click Edit. This will setup up the connection between your Power BI report and that app.
  • Now, whatever fields you selected in Power BI will be available inside of PowerApps as a collection wiht name PowerBIIntegration.Data
  • Now you can write formulas in the Items property to show only for data coming from Power BI. If you wanted to show only Clients that are selected in Power BI report, you will write something like: SortByColumns(Filter(Search('[dbo].[Messages]'; TextSearchBox1.Text; "Client"), Client in PowerBIIntegration.Data.Client); "Client"; If(SortDescending1; Descending; Ascending))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MiKeZZa,

Do you want to pass data from your Power BI report to your PowerApps app?

Further, do you want to filter data within the Gallery control of your PowerApps app based on the data passed from Power BI?

Please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerbi-powerapps-visual/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MiKeZZa

Hi @v-xida-msft, thanks for your reply.

What I want is selecting something in a Power BI visual in my Power BI report and filter the data in PowerApps based on the selection in Power BI.

So I'm not trying to integrate Power BI in PowerApps (I know how to use a Power BI visual). What I actually want is what you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CjGKoXem0I at 2:36.

Highlighted
MiKeZZa

A little kick; still looking for an answer.

PowerApps Staff sarafankit
PowerApps Staff

Hi @MiKeZZa - The answer you are looking for is actually described in this blog post - https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerbi-powerapps-visual/

You would need to do the following:

• Launch the PowerApps app in edit mode from inside your Power BI report. Select the ... on the PowerApps custom visual and click Edit. This will setup up the connection between your Power BI report and that app.
  • Now, whatever fields you selected in Power BI will be available inside of PowerApps as a collection wiht name PowerBIIntegration.Data
  • Now you can write formulas in the Items property to show only for data coming from Power BI. If you wanted to show only Clients that are selected in Power BI report, you will write something like: SortByColumns(Filter(Search('[dbo].[Messages]'; TextSearchBox1.Text; "Client"), Client in PowerBIIntegration.Data.Client); "Client"; If(SortDescending1; Descending; Ascending))

View solution in original post

Administrator
Administrator

Here is a walk through doing this: 

https://aka.ms/pbiinpa

Justair07

@v-xida-msft  great share! This is exactly what i was looking for and it seems to be exactly what the OP was descriping. How is this not marked  SOLVED? Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 309 members 5,807 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: