cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Byrdwatcher1970
Level: Power Up

Flow runs several times

Hi, I have a flow that triggers an azure automation runbook. Once a sharepoint item is created or edited, it runs. My issue is that it runs at least 2 times each time. It seems to run every time any field is edited in the sharepoint list. Is there anyway to just trigger the flow once upon editing or item creation? Here's the flow:

flow1.JPG

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
JRaasumaa
Level 10

Re: Flow runs several times

@Byrdwatcher1970 wrote:

Hi, I have a flow that triggers an azure automation runbook. Once a sharepoint item is created or edited, it runs. My issue is that it runs at least 2 times each time. It seems to run every time any field is edited in the sharepoint list. Is there anyway to just trigger the flow once upon editing or item creation? Here's the flow:

flow1.JPG

Thanks.

It may be that the flow is triggering multiple times since you are using When an item is Created or Modified. The help text on this says "Triggers when an item is created, and also each time it is modified" which leads me to believe it's thinking it's both being created and modified at the same time causing the 2nd trigger.

I do know there is a single "When an item is created" flow but not one that just says "When an item is modified" so there must be some trick to getting it to know the distinction so you can use the one you've picked.

Where are you running the flow? Is it attached to an app?

Byrdwatcher1970
Level: Power Up

hi JRaasumaa,

I'm just running on a sharepoint list.

Could I add a condition here to prevent this from happening? I'm guessing it triggers for every field that was updated in the list.

Thanks

JRaasumaa
Level 10

@Byrdwatcher1970 wrote:

hi JRaasumaa,

I'm just running on a sharepoint list.

Could I add a condition here to prevent this from happening? I'm guessing it triggers for every field that was updated in the list.

Thanks

It seems as though this is an actual bug that might not have been resolved. There is a post back in May and another in June on the Flow forum talking about it. One user suggests adding a condition checking to see if the created field is not equal to the modified field.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/I-Found-A-Bug/SharePoint-new-item-and-modified-item-triggers-fir...

Same solution in this thread:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365/MS-Flow-issue-Events-Item-Created-and-Modified-are...

Try that out but otherwise I would suggest submitting this as a support ticket, that type of behavior in their triggering needs to be resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,866)