cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChiefPraetor
Level: Powered On

ForAll on Patching a Subgallery

I'm creating a Gradebook for teachers and so far have created a Gallery for the StudentRoster and a Subgallery for the AssignmentsList.  In the rough sketch below, the names on the left are the Gallery, and the 1,2,3, etc. are the Subgallery.

image.png

I'm trying to Patch data that uses items from both a gallery and a subgallery (though I could easily make it work to just pull from the subgallery if needed).

The problem I have is that I can't get it to work the same way as pulling data from a regular Gallery. 
Button Code simply does nothing:

ForAll(GradeGallery.AllItems,Patch(tblGradebookMaster,Defaults(tblGradebookMaster),{StudentID:Value(Label30_1.Text),CCRecordID:Label25.Text,Rubric:Value(TextInput2.Text),AsID:Value(Label37.Text)}))

Currently I'm using a work around 'On Change' to save each one individually automatically:

If(IsEmpty(Filter(tblGradebookMaster,StudentID=Value(Label30_1.Text),CCRecordID=Label25.Text,AsID=Value(Label37.Text)))=true,

Patch(tblGradebookMaster,Defaults(tblGradebookMaster),{StudentID:Value(Label30_1.Text),CCRecordID:Label25.Text,Rubric:Value(TextInput2.Text),AsID:Value(Label37.Text)}),

Patch(tblGradebookMaster,First(Filter(tblGradebookMaster,StudentID=Value(Label30_1.Text),CCRecordID=Label25.Text,AsID=Value(Label37.Text))),{Rubric:Value(TextInput2.Text)}))

But it causes issues with the data source when the user updates too quickly and disconnects itself.  This is the only work around I've been able to get though.  I'd much prefer being able to collect the whole table at once, but I'd settle for less.

Thank you for your time,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChiefPraetor

Re: ForAll on Patching a Subgallery

I ended up making a Collection of all the changes through the On Change Property and then Hit a button to 'Save Changes' that patches the Collection to the Record Table.  Works great.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ChiefPraetor,

Please take a try to switch the Gallery.AllItems with the actual data source.

For example:

ForAll(DataSourceInGallery,
Patch(tblGradebookMaster,
Defaults(tblGradebookMaster),
{StudentID:Value(Label30_1.Text),
CCRecordID:Label25.Text,
Rubric:Value(TextInput2.Text),
AsID:Value(Label37.Text)}))

See if that would make any difference.

The workaround seems to be able to update if record exists, and if not, create new.

Further, would you please explain a bit for what you would like to achieve here?

We may offer a better solutions with a different control other than the Gallery.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ChiefPraetor

I tried your code, but I see the same issue.  Only 7 records are being created.  It isn't reading for every item of the subgallery, just one.

The goal is to save every rubric to every student shown.  I've split them into two galleries as there are two variables that must be filtered in a gradebook.   I must be able to change who's in the class (names on the left) and I must be able to change the assignments/number of assignments for the class (Test1, etc. on the top).

tblCoreScheduleStudent is a collection of all the students in the course (filtered to create the list in the example for this particular class - CCRecordID)

Fields: StudentID, CCRecordID

tblGradebookAssignments is a collection of all the Assignments (filtered to create the list in the example for this particular class)

Fields: AsID, CCRecordID

tblGradebookMaster is a collection of all the rubrics (grades on the given assignments) connected to each student in the class.

Fields: StudentID, AsID, Rubric, CCRecordID

We're trying to patch tblGradebookMaster so that every rubric is patched, whether updated or created new as needed, upon pressing a save button.

Thank you for your time, I hope some of that made sense =P

ChiefPraetor

I ended up making a Collection of all the changes through the On Change Property and then Hit a button to 'Save Changes' that patches the Collection to the Record Table.  Works great.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,465)