cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Form does not submit with Default Values

Having a strange issue with a form i'm working on at the moment. My datasource is a SharePoint list. Right now, I'm working with just one field ("Line Manager") which is a person field. On my form I have set the datacard's default value to the following:

If(FormCreateNewRequest.Mode = New, Office365Users.Manager(Office365Users.MyProfile().Mail), ThisItem.Line_x0020_Manager)

When I navigate to the form and submit it using the SubmitForm method, I receive the error below. I've set the SharePoint list to have no required fields, but the error persists. However, if I change the value of this field (i.e. Type the name of someone else and select them) the form will submit succesfully.

powerappsformerror.PNG

I have tried to work around this bug by instead getting the value of this field and then patching the record manually:

Patch('IT Equipment Requests', Defaults('IT Equipment Requests'),
	{
		Line_x0020_Manager: DataCardLineManagerInput.Selected
        }
)

Unfortunately this won't work as the following error is detected in the Patch function:

powerappsformerror2.PNG

Soo my question now is, how do i correctly emulate setting a "Person" field using Patch, or is there something I'm doing wrong with setting the Default property of that field?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Form does not submit with Default Values

Hi @Meneghino, thanks for the tip!

I had a closer look at how Powerapps interprets a Person field by creating a collection from my list data. Managed to find the correct OData type there.

The following code appears to work to manually patch a person field, allowing us to use the search ability on an Edit Form but without using the SubmitForm method. *note, i changed the column to be named "approver" for other reasons

{
		Approver : {Claims: DataCardValue1.Selected.Claims, Department: DataCardValue1.Selected.Department, DisplayName: DataCardValue1.Selected.DisplayName, Email: DataCardValue1.Selected.Email, JobTitle: DataCardValue1.Selected.JobTitle, Picture: DataCardValue1.Selected.Picture, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser"}
	}
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @Anonymous

In order to patch to a person type field you need to patch a record, not a value.  That record needs to include the correct @odata.type field value.  Basically the approach is the same as in this post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Solved-patching-to-SharePoint-choice-and-lookup-type-columns/m-p/21561

But the record fields will be different, and I think the odata value is also different, but I have not looked at it in a while.

Please come back if you have trouble figuring it out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Meneghino, thanks for the tip!

I had a closer look at how Powerapps interprets a Person field by creating a collection from my list data. Managed to find the correct OData type there.

The following code appears to work to manually patch a person field, allowing us to use the search ability on an Edit Form but without using the SubmitForm method. *note, i changed the column to be named "approver" for other reasons

{
		Approver : {Claims: DataCardValue1.Selected.Claims, Department: DataCardValue1.Selected.Department, DisplayName: DataCardValue1.Selected.DisplayName, Email: DataCardValue1.Selected.Email, JobTitle: DataCardValue1.Selected.JobTitle, Picture: DataCardValue1.Selected.Picture, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser"}
	}
)

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 105 members 5,565 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: