Department

ROLES

Department (lookup from DEPARTMENTS)

Role

APPROVERS

Department (lookup from DEPARTMENTS)

Role (lookup from ROLES)

Name

For APPROVERS I edited the form, and replaced the Role default combobox with a cascading dropdown that filters ROLES by the APPROVERS.Department value and grabs ROLES.Role from the resulting table.

In the APPROVERS.Role default card I changed the Update field to Dropdown.Selected. The problem now is that when a new item is added to the APPROVERS list, the Role dropdown doesn't pass the value to the Role list column, the field stays blank.

PowerApps doesn't show any errors anywhere in the form setup, what could be stopping the Role column from accepting the Role dropdown value? Could it have anything to do with the fact that the Role column was created as a Lookup type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MateiC
Level: Powered On

Re: Form dropdown not passing value to lookup column

I ended up changing all lookup types to text types throughout the site, because:

• As far as I've found I cannot create dependent dropdowns to be used within a list's Quick Edit mode, to mirror the dependent dropdown manually added to the new/edit form
  • Using Microsoft Flow with these lists, I kept having issues with OData filtering for columns that were lookup types

Thank you for confirming the issue, and your solution looks like the correct way to go. I'll come back to this in case I ever need to stick with lookup types in the future.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MateiC,

Yes, you are hitting the point.

The issue you encountered should be relatd to the lookup type.

Read more here:

Defining default values for Comples SHarePoint type in forms

You need to update the Update Porperty of the DataCard with the following schema, for single value DataCard, the formula under the Update property should be:

Lookup(Choices(APPROVERS.Role), Value=Dropdown.selected.Value)

For Multiple Value enabled field, the formula should be:

Filter(
        Choices(APPROVERS.Role),
        Value in Combox.SelectedItems.Value)

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MateiC
Level: Powered On

I ended up changing all lookup types to text types throughout the site, because:

• As far as I've found I cannot create dependent dropdowns to be used within a list's Quick Edit mode, to mirror the dependent dropdown manually added to the new/edit form
  • Using Microsoft Flow with these lists, I kept having issues with OData filtering for columns that were lookup types

Thank you for confirming the issue, and your solution looks like the correct way to go. I'll come back to this in case I ever need to stick with lookup types in the future.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 110 members 5,178 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: