cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcgurn01
Level: Powered On

Gallery scrolling performance issues

I'm hoping there's some kind of planned performance improvement work on the gallery control, but posting this, in case there isn't.

At present, the gallery control is incredibly clunky/laggy when scrolling any faster than what I'd consider to be "unreasonablly slow".  The behavior is 

1. I scroll
  2. The rows move up
  3. There is a huge empty whitespace for about 1-2 seconds
  4. The white space fills up as the elements render
  5. Repeat process

I will note:

• It doesn't matter if I bind the gallery to a local collection or directly to the data source.   Since my data source (Azure SQL) is too large to be cached to a collection, I'm limited to direct binding anyways.
  • It's reproducible in web player (Chrome browser) and mobile (iPad app)
  • I am using ThisItem to bind all data to controls in the gallery.  At this point, I have 8 controls total in the template row, which are a mix of images (2 icons) and labels (6 of those).
  • It seems to be completely unrelated to latency in the network.  I can verify this by watching the troubleshooting console, and the lag isn't tied to any network calls, though I do see those happen at each 100 rows of data or so.
  • I can reproduce this on other data sources that I am caching to a local collection on app OnStart, where I see this empty whitespace when I scroll fast enough to where the gallery would need to render more than ~5 rows at a time.  In that case, the datasource is cached to a local collection, and that gallery only has 5 labels in the template row.

I'm attaching a video of this behavior.  While the lag you see might be "acceptable", it's not a great user experience on any platform. I understand that the gallery is probably working as designed for keeping resource utilization low on mobile devices, however, since this can be reproduce on mobile, too, I'm asking that Microsoft improve this. 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Gallery scrolling performance issues

Hi @pmcgurn01 ,

How many records are there for your data source? 

About how to improve performance in PowerApps, you can also refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/performance-considerations-with-powerapps/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
pmcgurn01
Level: Powered On

Re: Gallery scrolling performance issues

@v-monli-msft 

I had a whole nice reply typed up, but every time I post something in this community, it fails the first time with an "unexpected error, contact your system administrator", and if I didn't copy what I wrote before submitting, it's lost.

Answers to your reply:

1. Record count has no bearing on this issue.  I can reliably reproduce it on both cached local record sets of 259, or Azure SQL record sets in the thousands.
  2. I've already followed every possible performance recommendation in both of those articles, prior to posting my original issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,831)