cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joliefallouh
Level: Powered On

General questions - building apps

Hi All,

So I am using PowerApps for the first time. I want to build an app that uses combobox & checklist selections to extract data from an excel database source into a new table with the output from those selections. I have attached some pics below to explain the process.

1. Make selections: In this step, I made the following selections. 

Screen1.PNG

2. Once I press submit, the app will filter out the excel table I have and "spit" out the result. So in this case, based on this selection, it should filter out the items in red in the next pic. It should not show me the items in yellow because these are "Holding locations" that I have no selected.

Screen2.PNG

3. What I want to do is the following: (1) Make selections (2) Have the app filter the selections (3) Transition into a new screen on microsoft powerapps where a new table is displayed with the selections and relevant output information (in red).

I am having trouble doing this - could someone please help out? I am relatively new to PowerApps so apologies in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
PavanKumar
Level 8

Re: General questions - building apps

@Joliefallouh ,

You can do them as below.

1. Place two screens in the app.
  2. Screen 1 --> Place all selected fields (dropdowns for example) in this screen.
  3. Place a button in Screen1.
  4. On select property of the Button write formulae
    ClearCollect(colResult,Filter(Datasource,columnname=ddl1.selected.columnname,columnname2=ddl2.seected.columnname))
  5. With the above formulae we can filter the datasource with the dropdown selected values and save the result set in a collection. (use clearcollect so that it clears before collecting everytime).
  6. Make sure to change the ddl control names and column names from above formulae
  7. In Screen 2 --> Insert a Gallery (as per your need) and in the Items property to the gallery use colResult (which you collected in previous formulae)
  8. Add as many columns as required in the Gallery as per requirement

if this answers your question mark it as verified and give thumbsup

Regards,

pavan Kumar Garlapati

Joliefallouh

Thank you so much! I did this and created a table on the screen screen. I have a couple more questions: 

1) Some of the text in the table cells is too long so it gets cut off and I cant see it, is there a way I can fix it? (maybe like a scroll bar for height and width of the cell in addition to the one for the table?)

2) I am trying to export my output and used the collect function but i need to export it to an excel sheet / powerpoint slide, is that possible??

Thanks!

PavanKumar
Level 8

Hi @Joliefallouh ,

you can adjust the cell size of the table please check and adjust the properties until you are satisfied 🙂

At the moment we can't export files from powerapps however if required we can email it using Flows.

if this answers your question mark it as verified and give thumbsup

Regards,

Pavan Kumar Garlapati

Joliefallouh

Hi Pavan!

Thanks for your response.

I am trying to do that but it is not working. What my app currently does is based on selections, it filters a data table from my data source and displays it on a new screen. I can't seem to understand how the collect / patch function works so i can link it with flows (which i already set up). There is several dependecies in my selection list, and a few checkboxes. The dependencies filter the table and if you click a check box, it shows additional columns in the table..

PavanKumar
Level 8

Hi,

If you want to collect or store certain records then we use Collect or ClearCollect functions.

Patch is to Create/Update records in database.

In your case since you want to show the records basedupon the filter criteria you must go with ClearCollect.

ClearCollect(colItems,Filter(yourdatasource,column1=dropdown1.selected.value/columnname,column2=dropdown2.selected.value/columnname));

Now you will have collection ready on click of next button.

To see the values collected in the collection in Edit mode. Go to File--> collection --> your collection name.

If you just want to send the datatable as an email. Following link helps you may not need a flow:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Expressions-and-Formulas/Data-Table-to-Email-in-PowerApps/td-p/1...

if this answers your question mark it as verified and give a thumbsup

Regards,

Pavan Kumar Garlapati

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,983)