cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dyee4614
Level: Powered On

GroupBy Issue

Hi.  I'm trying to create a groupby but I don't know how to reference my data.  The data source is a sharepoint list.  My column names are words like Crew, Units, etc.  When I try to see the options, I see fields like "ajvs".  I'm sure these are the fields I want using the backend Sharepoint name but I don't know how to pick the right fields to roll up.  

help!.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: GroupBy Issue

@dyee4614 

Here's how to find the original column name:

Step #1 Open the SharePoint List Settings

Step#2  Select the Column you want to inspect

Step#3  While on the Column settings page look at the URL in your browser to find the column name.  It will be in the final parameter called field.

Example:

Untitled.png

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

@dyee4614 

A sample usage of GroupBy looks like this

GroupBy(CityPopulations, "Country", "Cities") 

The positional arguments have the meaning

GroupBy(Table, GroupByColumn1, NameOfNewGroupedColumn) 

So for instance if you wanted to group your results by Crew you would do it like this.  The grouped data would go in a column called MyNewColumn.  Make sure you have double-quotes around the column names.

GroupBy(
    Filter(
        'Field Manager''s App', 
        Date=DatePicker2.SelectedDate,
        Manager=FieldMan.Selected.Result
    ),
    "Crew",
    "MyNewColumn"
)

As for the autocomplete menu in your picture: yes those fields appear somewhere in the SharePoint List.  It contains all of the possible choices for the grouping column.

Link to MS Docs for GROUPBY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-groupby

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

dyee4614

Hi @mdevaney

Thanks for your reply.  The issue isn't using the groupby function.  The issue is I can't tell what column I'm referencing.  The groupby is grabbing some backend sharepoint name instead of the name I used.  For example, I created a column called Pack.  To use the groupby this column is "ajvs".  My question is how do I lookup the name? 

I am currently creating another groupby with all my columns and then putting them into a gallery and manually writing out which column goes where but there has to be a better way to do this. 

Super User
Super User

@dyee4614 

Is "Pack" a newly created SharePoint column?  If yes, you will have to update your datasource.  Do this by finding the datasource in the left side menu and clicking Refresh.  After this you would reference the column by simply writing "Pack" within double quotes.

Let me know if my suggestions work for you.

---

dyee4614

@mdevaney  no.  The system can read all my entries.  The issue is it is using a different naming convention.  Here is my sharepoint list.  The title name is commodity.  There is one entry, CARA CARA ORANAGE.  For everything but the group by, I can reference this column as commodity.  

BS2.PNG

However, in the group by Commodity = jw0y. 

bs3.PNG

P.S I tried just writing the column in quotes.  It doesn't work.  It has to be the "jw0y" name and not "Commodity"

Super User
Super User

@dyee4614 

The reason for this is because your SharePoint column was originally called jw0y (database column name) and was later changed to Commodity (plain English name).  You must always refer to a SharePoint column by its original name.

---

dyee4614

@mdevaney  Exactly!  How can I see the original name in Sharepoint?  

Super User
Super User

@dyee4614 

Here's how to find the original column name:

Step #1 Open the SharePoint List Settings

Step#2  Select the Column you want to inspect

Step#3  While on the Column settings page look at the URL in your browser to find the column name.  It will be in the final parameter called field.

Example:

Untitled.png

---

View solution in original post

dyee4614

@mdevaney  Sorry for the delay, thank you that answered my question and I was able to convert my data source!  Sorry, I wasn't able to the ask the question more directly the first time!

Super User
Super User

@dyee4614 

I'm just glad you are able to continue building your app.  Best of luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,077)