cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping Controls on a PowerApp - adding a new Control

When I'm working with my app, I can't seem to be able to add a control into an existing group - it always creates a new group with both sets of items.  The problem here is I lose all styling, and visibility settings, etc of the group and have to reconfigure.

Is there a simple way to get new items into a group, or remove an item without ungrouping? It would be great if you could just drag it into or out of a group.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Grouping Controls on a PowerApp - adding a new Control

Ah, good point about the group name - I was looking at properties only. It makes sense to maintain the group name if you're adding new controls to it.

I'll file a bug to the team to suggest this change. While I don't think properties should change, the name of the group should be preserved (as long as you're adding individual controls to an existing group, not merging two groups).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerApps Staff

What do you mean that you "lose styling and visibility setting" of the group? For the existing controls in the group, or for the newly added elements? If the former, then that would be a bug. If the latter, then it's how groups work - a group is a construct to allow you to set multiple properties .

For example, if you have 3 labels in a group, and after selecting the group you set the color to Red. What that action did was to set the color to Red for all three individual controls; the group itself doesn't have a "color" by itself. Now if you insert a fourth label into the group (by selecting the group, the label, and then grouping them again), you're creating a new group with all four elements (PowerApps doesn't have the concept of "nested groups"). All properties of the controls are unchanged, but if you set a property of the group, it will now apply to all 4 controls.

PowerApps doesn't have "group properties" because that can lead to conflicts. In the same case of the label, if the group had the color set to red, and the fourth label had it set to yellow. When we group them together, which color would "win"? Or if you're trying to combine two groups (each one with 3 controls), in case of conflicts properties of which group would prevail?

If you feel that having "group properties" is important, please consider creating a new feature request in the PowerApps Ideas board.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Carlos,

"Now if you insert a fourth label into the group (by selecting the group, the label, and then grouping them again), you're creating a new group with all four elements"

That wouldn't be the expected behaviour for me - because I've given that group a name, and I want it to keep that name, etc.  If I create a new group each time I need to rename it, etc.

You might be right that all the individual parts get their own settings, but it feels like a group - until you add something new, and then the group you made disappears.

So, this may not be important at all, because it's just a cosmetic issue - but the perception is there.

PowerApps Staff

Ah, good point about the group name - I was looking at properties only. It makes sense to maintain the group name if you're adding new controls to it.

I'll file a bug to the team to suggest this change. While I don't think properties should change, the name of the group should be preserved (as long as you're adding individual controls to an existing group, not merging two groups).

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good - thanks for that.

And I agree, if merging two groups it should obviously choose a random number stat from the control's properties each for hit points, and do a dice roll based on the number of items in the group for attack points, and each element should fight until the group remaining wins.

Or it just gets merged into a new group.

AndrewAitken
Level: Powered On

It's interesting to see you talking about grouping lables: "if you have 3 labels in a group ...". How did you group labels together?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,211)