cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having two versions of the same PowerApp, production and development?

Is there a way to set up development and production versions of the PowerApp? As of now if I edit the App and save the changes it is automatically updated to everyone in the organization. Is it possible to lock the App that everyone has fixed version and it does not update until the development is finished? How would you set up something like that? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWhitlock
Level: Powered On

Re: Having two versions of the same PowerApp, production and development?

I would just press Save as and call it something different. Say for example your app was called Commercial Leads, then just save a new app as Commercial Leads Development and turn sharing off.

Then when you are ready for it to go live, save over the current live version and click Share with Org.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ShaunWhitlock

I would just press Save as and call it something different. Say for example your app was called Commercial Leads, then just save a new app as Commercial Leads Development and turn sharing off.

Then when you are ready for it to go live, save over the current live version and click Share with Org.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for?

View solution in original post

RobRoy

From my recent experience you will have to use Save As and save it to another location like a local drive, not PowerApps. Saving it in PowerApps only reproduces the same app with a different name, and all changes made to one are made to the other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShaunWhitlock Thanks Shaun I didn't even think about it. I tried and indeed it works the way I want. Cheers!

@RobRoy I tested with saving on the cloud and it still works as too seperate apps. (as in the other one is not automatically updated with the new additions from the development one) 

RobRoy

Ah, I'm glad someone else noticed this. When I posted this a couple of weeks ago I had the strange experience of seeing both copies of my app update at the same time. I just tested again because of your experience and see that each app is saving independently as they should. My apologies for the false information!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,821)