cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sdmikejr
Level: Powered On

Help Needed with nested galleries based on related lists.

I have 2 lists , the first list is Products and the second list is an Accessories. One part can take multiple accessories.

I have a gallery where the users can choose the Product and all information about the product renders in the app. What I would like to do now, is have a nested gallery that will show all accessories related to the selected Product.

So far, I have a lookup field in SharePoint that links the lists using a mult-select lookup field, but am not sure how to achieve the nested filter gallery that will allow me to present the associated accessories. 

Can someone please help?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Help Needed with nested galleries based on related lists.

A couple of different ways to go about it...

Your primary gallery can just be the Products table.

Then your nested gallery can have a data source of Filter(Accessories, accessoryProductIDColumn=ThisItem.ID)

Your column names may vary, but that's the way to go (or at least one of them).

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Super User
Super User

An alternative to placing the filter for the 'child' records in the items property of the nested gallery, you can use something like the following to shape your data first:

AddColumns(
    RenameColumns(
        Product,
        "ID",
        "ProductID"
    ),
    "ProductAccessories",
    Filter(
        RenameColumns(
            Accessories,
            "ID",
            "AccessoryID"
        ),
        ProductID= AccessoryProductID column
    )
)

The second RenameColumns shouldn't really be necessary, but for some reason in my testing the formula would not return results without it. Each row of Products gets an additional field "ProductAccessories" which contains a table with all of the relevant accessory records. Set the maing gallery's items property to the above and the nested gallery's items property to ThisItem.ProductAccessories.

Comparing the two methods (based on SharePoint lists):

With the shape-data approach, initial population of the gallery may take marginally longer but once populated, scrolling is smoother as the filter-in-nested-gallery approach loads the child records only on demand (once the header is visible) which can lead to controls appearing to take a few seconds to populate with scrolling freezing during that time.

The shape-data approach is affected by delegation limits. Galleries pull back records 100 at a time. Say each parent record has 10 child records so the full data set is 1000 records. If your delegation limit is set to 500, you'll only get half the expected records returned.

Important

In my testing, both methods gave unexpected (wrong) results are the first 100 parent records. From record 101 onwards in the gallery, only 2 or 3 (of the 10) child records were shown.

I think the safest approach is to use the filter-on-nested gallery and use a FirstN to bring in only 100 parent records. Force your users to enter some sort of search criteria to narrow down the list rather the allowing them to scroll more than 100 records.

If you are using SQL, peform a join on your header/child tables and present the results in a single view which you can then shape using the GroupBy command.

Super User
Super User

Delegation!! The evil of PowerApps.

Actually not so much when you get your head wrapped around it, but you really need to know the pitfalls. 

My only advice with delegation issues is to consider it wisely.  You may spend a lot of dev time trying to work around a delegation warning on a list that will never be an issue. Always have to consider the final and future results.

Good stuff!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 314 members 6,305 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: