cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bug
Level: Powered On

Re: Help understanding powerapps license changes October 2019

Wow, I sure hope that is a mistake, please keep us posted if that is really the behavior Microsoft has planned. That would be an entirely new dimension to consider.
ahamdan

I have invested more than 4 months developing my first PowerApp and in the stage where my users (company staff) are testing it.  I got a message from one of the users of an issue in the app, which I fixed and republished.  Now, I have to extend my trial !!!. I'm using a single Azure SQL DB Connector. How could I not see this comming?  Why I haven't been warned with a notification while developing my PowerApp that the connector that I'm using will not be free any more after Oct 1st 2019?  I don't have time to read blogs and white papers, but have I missed something that I shouldn't have?   

aabrin

This seems to have been exclusively announced at their conference in September, and took effect just a couple weeks later at the start of October.  I discovered it almost entirely on accident as well via someone mentioning it in a totally unrelated thread about another PowerApp issue I was having.  They definitely fell flat on this changeover in a lot of ways, but they also seem to be okay with it decimating the population that can feasibly use PowerApps that aren't also utilizing Dynamics365.

Bug

I’m in the same situation.
If you look at the link posted in message 38 of this thread, you will se that Microsoft decided to make this licensing change under the radar and on very short notice. So much so, that even their internal front line support staff was not aware of it. For many, operating costs skyrocket by more than 500% as a result of this change, if you use both SQL and Flow.
VeeHa

Hi everyone, 

I tested the apps again this morning and I was able to get into them in both Play and Edit modes. 

Can anyone confirm your app is no longer asking for the trial license? 

sscarcella
Level 8

My apps have all seemed to be granfathered in still...  I have made changes and can still access them.  I contacted Support today to make sure that the grandfathering is based on Created date and not Modified date and they confirmed.  It must have been a glitch if you were unable to access them.  Below is the email I received:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. 

My name is Aditya Choudhary and I am the Microsoft Support Engineer who will be working with you on support request.

To answer your questions grandfathering is based on the creations date of the app.

App should be created before the October 1st.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have further queries.

Regards,

Aditya Choudhary (MINDTREE LIMITED)

Support Engineer

PowerApps and MS Flow Support

Email: v-adicho@microsoft.com

Backup Email: mtappflowomta@microsoft.com

Working hours: 9 AM - 6 PM PST

If you have any feedback about my work, please let either me or my manager Sudip Dasgupta know at  v-sudda@microsoft.com

aabrin

Just confirmed that our app also spontaneously fixed itself as well, so it seems something got corrected somewhere.

VeeHa

I don't think this has been completely ironed out yet. 

While I can confirm it is working as expected using the URI:

https://apps.powerapps.com/play/[APPID]

The following is NOT working using the format (this is the way we embed PowerApps into Microsoft Teams / website App without the global toolbar):

https://web.powerapps.com/webplayer/iframeapp?source=iframe&appId=/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/[APPID]

In case anyone want to hide the Nav bar using the new URI - please see this https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/Hide-PowerApps-Navigation-Bar-Perman...

Dpalmer

Yeah the document says "Created" prior to October 1st.  I can't even tell you haw big a problem this is for me.  Looks like I'm out of a job.

RobL
Level: Power Up

I just don't understand how businesses can make decisions when the licensing is constantly changing.  We decided to go with PowerApps and Azure SQL as our platform due to having Office 365 licensees for 5500+ employees.  The monthly costs would now be extraordinary. How does this help at all with PowerApps adoption?  Luckily a lot of the workflows were built in Logic Apps.  We will now have to port all the UI to a web app on Azure.  Am I correct in understanding that we can continue making apps with Azure SQL until Oct 2020 and our existing app will work until Oct 2024.  If I make a change to the app (of course required) will it still work until 2024 or does that constitute a new app? If the app will only work for 1 year then I don't think further investment is worthwhile.  Does Microsoft understand how bad this makes their partners look for evangelizing PowerApps? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,419)