cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mcorning
Level 8

How do i assign a CDS lookup field value in Flow

In a post yesterday, i left open the question of assigning a Lookup field value in a new record in a child entity when i use the CDS.Createanewrecord Action in Flow.

When i tried the simple experiment to test the obvious answer, i hit one design time issue which produced a referential integrity issue, post hoc.

In the Flow editor, there is no field in the child entity (viz., Search incident) called Modo (which is the name of the Lookup field in CDS). I didn't know if referential integrity rules would allow Flow to create a Seach Incident record without a Modo value, but it did.

So I suspect I left out a step when defining the Entity Relationship between Modo and Seach Incident entities.

Two questions then (btw, should i make a habit of breaking up posts with multiple questions into multiple posts?):

1. Can I use Flow to create consistent child entity records? (otherwise, i will revert to my original strategy of using a text field for the parent ModoId)
  2. Is full referential integrity part of the Entity Relationships value proposition in CDS (and if so, where do the docs show us how to fully implement a Relationships)

In my next experiment I will delete a Modo record that is the parent of a Search Incident record. If there is referential integrity i expect, I won't be able to; but since I have doubts about integrity, I expect CDS will not complain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mcorning
Level 8

Re: How do i assign a CDS lookup field value in Flow

I will send this question along to the Flow Forum (i should have done that in the first place because i have no trouble using PowerApps to add consistent child records).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mcorning,

If you would like to use Microsoft Flow to create a new record with Common Data service, when the action is added, the available fields would be listed, and I think currently using Microsoft Flow can't create the "consistent child entity records", if you mean the lookup fields here.

For PowerApps to manage the relationship, please see the article below:

Build a relationship between entities

Hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mcorning
Level 8

I will send this question along to the Flow Forum (i should have done that in the first place because i have no trouble using PowerApps to add consistent child records).

View solution in original post

beans
Level: Powered On

Can you share with us a sample on how one adds consistent child records?  We are trying to implement parent child relationship Powerapps form and this link does not appear to give an example on how to use it in the powerapp. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/data-platform-entity-lookup

Appreciate your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 167 members 4,551 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: