cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MrNappa
Level: Powered On

How to avoid delegation warning when bulk updating from local collection?

I'm trying to save a bunch of updates to a (CDS) datasource all at once. To achieve this, I used the following construction:

// 'updates' is a local collection  
ForAll( updates, Patch( Elements, LookUp( Elements, ElementId=updates[@ElementId] ), { // some field updates }); );

However, the red part is giving me a delegation warning.

Now I can see where this is coming from: the indexing in the local 'updates' collection is not supported by the LookUp delegation (at least I think that's the cause). However, this is an operation that should not be delegated in the first place: I want it to be performed before going to the data source so it's a simple 'lookup by ID'. But I can't pre-set it in a local variable because the operation takes place within a ForAll.

How can I work around this? Or should I use a different setup alltogether?

(detail: the 'updates' collection is not a 1:1 copy of the 'Elements' data type, but it does contain the ElementId guid)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to avoid delegation warning when bulk updating from local collection?

Hi @MrNappa ,

Is the ElementId a GUID type column in your updates collection and the Elements Entity?

How do you initialize the updates collection within your app? Could you please share a bit more about the formula?

I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following formula:

ForAll(
RenameColumns(updates, "ElementId", "ElementId1"), Patch(
Elements,
LookUp(Elements, ElementId = ElementId1), { // some field updates }
); );

please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

In addition, the amount of your Elements Entity records is not more than 2000, you could ignore this Delegation warning issue. More details about the Delegation in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Delegation

Note: You should set the "Data row limit for Non-delegable queries" option to maximum value -- 2000 within Advanced settings of App settings of your app.

In addition, if the ElementId value stored in your updates collection is a Text value, please modify your above formula as below:

I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following formula:

ForAll(
       RenameColumns(updates, "ElementId", "ElementId1"),
       Patch(
             Elements, 
             LookUp(Elements, ElementId = GUID(ElementId1)),
             {
               // some field updates
             }
       );
);

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MrNappa ,

Is the ElementId a GUID type column in your updates collection and the Elements Entity?

How do you initialize the updates collection within your app? Could you please share a bit more about the formula?

ForAll(
RenameColumns(updates, "ElementId", "ElementId1"), Patch(
Elements,
LookUp(Elements, ElementId = ElementId1), { // some field updates }
); );

please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

In addition, the amount of your Elements Entity records is not more than 2000, you could ignore this Delegation warning issue. More details about the Delegation in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Delegation

Note: You should set the "Data row limit for Non-delegable queries" option to maximum value -- 2000 within Advanced settings of App settings of your app.

In addition, if the ElementId value stored in your updates collection is a Text value, please modify your above formula as below:

ForAll(
       RenameColumns(updates, "ElementId", "ElementId1"),
       Patch(
             Elements, 
             LookUp(Elements, ElementId = GUID(ElementId1)),
             {
               // some field updates
             }
       );
);

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

MrNappa

Hi Kris, thanks for the response.

Hm, now that you mention it, there may be some mix up between display name vs schema name. I'd have to recheck it. It should refer to a primary key column.

It's the filtered contents of a gallery that should contain all entries that the user has not filled out manually.

Thanks, I'll see if it improves upon this.

In addition, the amount of your Elements Entity records is not more than 2000, you could ignore this Delegation warning issue.

I know, however this is a table that will grow over time and this is not something we can ignore. Besides, it's also very inefficient; using the new 'monitor' feature (which is pretty neat, by the way!) I already saw that the query will first load all items from the Elements table and after that apply the filter.

I'll update later with my findings :).

MrNappa

Turns out the ElementId in the lookup was the culprit, after all. This was probably my bad (autocompleting or copypasting the wrong name). The key column in the Elements table was actually called 'Element', and if I used that I could remove the scoping construction "updates[@ElementId]", leading to the correct code:

ForAll( updates,  Patch( Elements, LookUp( Elements, Element=ElementId ),  { /* updates */ }); );

I think I might essentially have been calling "LookUp( Elements, true )" in a roundabout way...?

ANyway, thanks for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 329 members 2,658 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: