cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichelH
Level 8

How to extend a gallery-control by adding a component to it?

I made a component that looks like a round light, that has a color related to a status.

I can add extra field to a gallery-control , but I would like to add a component to it.

When adding a component it appears outside of the gallery-control.

Can anyone let me know if and how this can be done. (or why not)

Thanks,

Michel

5 REPLIES 5
SkiDK
Level 8

Re: How to extend a gallery-control by adding a component to it?

It is not supported by Microsoft so it's just not possible.

help.PNG

Source: https://michalguzowski.pl/powerapps-components-handbook/

But what you can do in a component, you can do in a gallery. So to make it work you'll have to recreate it in the gallery.

MichelH
Level 8

Thanks for your reply. 

Right now the component is simple, but the idea was to see the status of a person connected to an application.

It quickly gets quite complicated, but still interesting to have this in more than one app.

I would think components ware made so we can re-use such code in other apps.

But reading the handbook it seems I'm still going to copy paste a lot. Too bad.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MichelH ,

It is an known limit with the Component control that you could not insert a component into a gallery, a form, or a data card.

More details about the limits with Component control, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-component#known-limitations

If you want to insert a Component control into a Gallery, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs. As an alternative solution, you could consider create a custom Component control, and insert a Gallery control into this Component, then you could insert your status icon into this Gallery.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

You need to custom a Input property (e.g. GalleryItems, as the screenshot mentioned above) within your Component, and bind it to the Items property of the embedded Gallery in your Component.

Then set the GalleryItems property of the Component control to a specific Table structure as below:

Table({
Title: "Titl1",
ProjectName: "ProjectName1",
}
)

Note: The Title, ProjectName, ... represents the column values you want to display from your other data source. Within above custom Input property, you could not specify your other data source, it must be a Table structure as above.

After that, you could use your custom Conponent control in your app screen, and change the GalleryItems proeprty to your other data source:6.JPG

More details about customizing a Component Input property, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-component#custom-properties

Please also check the attached sample Gallery Component for help in your scenario.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MichelH
Level 8

Thanks Kris,

I will check this out

MichelH
Level 8

So, the workaround suggested here is quite nice.

Thank you for your efforts, Kris.

However, putting a gallery in a component is making you have the same gallery in every app.

That is not what I had in mind.

A gallery, like a form should be customized, and the controls should be separate, so they can be upgraded.

Of course I should have read the notes, but I only looked at the youtube video's.

And then I thought, yes!!!, a status indicator in the gallery, a color-picker and my own calendar and date-time picker for the forms, etc etc,....but indeed this won't be possible, until microsoft makes it possible.

I have a really bad expirience of finding stuff on google marked as solved, when it is not, so I won't accept your suggestion as a solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,829)