cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WebPortal
Level: Powered On

How to get the max value of Sharepoint list column

I have a Sharepoint list (Tabela1) with column Nº de obra, which contains a sequential integer.

I'm trying to get the maximum value. Using a text label, I changed the "Text" property to:

Max(Tabela1.'Nº de Obra')

Which returns the error:

Invalid argument type (Table) shoud be number

And then I tried:

Last(Sort(Tabela1;'Nº de Obra';Descending))

Which returns the error:

Text value expected

Why? Can anyone help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How to get the max value of Sharepoint list column

@WebPortal 

I translated your error message for the SORT + LAST method.  In English it says:

The requested operation is invalid.
Server Response: The attempted operation is forbidden because it exceeds the list view
threshold imposed by the administrator.

This is a problem to be solved 100% on Sharepoint.  The code within PowerApps is good.  Try these suggestions in the link below.  I believe it will fix your error. https://natechamberlain.com/2018/05/21/how-to-resolve-sharepoint-list-view-threshold-error-the-view-...

I suppose MAX is not delegable under Sharepoint even though it is mentioned in the Delegation doucmentation.  How wiered.  That's OK though, I think you can use SORT + LAST once the issue with Sharepoint is resolved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

Here's a few ideas.  This one initially did not work beacuse Last returns a record and you need a field text/number instead.  Also, you'll want to get the FIRST record of your table sorted in descending (greatest-to-least) order

First(Sort(Tabela1;'Nº de Obra';Descending)).'Nº de Obra'

I am not as familiar with the max formula but I think this would work.  Your issue was there should be two parameters (Table, Column) instead of 1 parameter.

Max(Tabela1,'Nº de Obra')

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

WebPortal

Hi @mdevaney 

Thank you for your answers!

The first returns an error:

"Server error: ... exceeds maximum number of visits"

The second, runs, but only within the delegated rows and it returns:

Delegation warning: ... 'max is not supported...'

So, in essence I need to get the maximum value of a large sharepoint list (around 50k rows) and not just the maximum of the delegated rows.

Later, I need to add one to this value and expand the list.

How can I do this?

Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

Could you please provide a screenshot of the full error message shown here?  I am little surprised as I have used SORT + FIRST in many instances.  Maybe the full error message will help me understand.

"Server error: ... exceeds maximum number of visits"

For the MAX function, did you combine it with any other code?  The documentation says its delegable... so I am a little confused here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-aggregates

Highlighted
WebPortal

Hi @mdevaney 

Here's the full screen:

image.png

"The requested operation in invalid"

This is the max function:

image.png

This is the warning message of Max:

image.png

My system is Portuguese, but this one means: "Delegation warning. The detached part of this formula may not function correctly in big datasets. "Max" operation is not supported by this connector." 

Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

I translated your error message for the SORT + LAST method.  In English it says:

The requested operation is invalid.
Server Response: The attempted operation is forbidden because it exceeds the list view
threshold imposed by the administrator.

This is a problem to be solved 100% on Sharepoint.  The code within PowerApps is good.  Try these suggestions in the link below.  I believe it will fix your error. https://natechamberlain.com/2018/05/21/how-to-resolve-sharepoint-list-view-threshold-error-the-view-...

I suppose MAX is not delegable under Sharepoint even though it is mentioned in the Delegation doucmentation.  How wiered.  That's OK though, I think you can use SORT + LAST once the issue with Sharepoint is resolved.

View solution in original post

WebPortal

Hi @mdevaney 

I have added an index for column 'Nº de obra' and now the Sort function works!

I guess now I can find another function to auto increment this number (I'll open another question 🙂

Thanks a lot for helping!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,290)