cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpkeong
Level 10

Re: How to prevent employees from editing a Holiday Request SharePoint list?

Hi @MikeTwister @KREI_CZ @Fields@Anonymous

Allow me to add in my opinions here.

Yes, for PowerApp, when they are shared of the apps by owner, they can access to all the data and screens.

But there is always someway.

In fact, you can access control to Disable.True or False those areas you wish them to

- View

- Navigate

- Click

by creating additional username or passkey and then

bind it with Disable properties of those buttonb, list, etc. that you don;t want someone to use.

Please look at my blog to see if you can modify to meet your needs.

Just sharing:

I creata an App for my customer, and they only have ONE Account registered.

The Owners (2 of them) and the Employees (3 of them) are using the same Account to sign-in.

The owners (sign-in with Owener Passkey)  can view ALL screens, edit, delete ...

The Employees (sign in with their Passkey) can only ENTER data but nothing else, can;t delete or edit (even they are viewing the same screens).

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day and g9

hpkeong
MikeTwister
Level: Powered On

Hi,

That is an interesting way of controlling access within the app.

However, I am not sure it helps with the situation where users can navigate directly to the SharePoint list where the data is held and edit it there, outside of the app.

Thank you,

Michael

hpkeong
Level 10

Hi

Even the user is allowed to navigate to the specific page, you can Disable the Pen based on the user().name or user().email.

Example:

- Pen.Disabled : user().name = "name you wish to make it true".

I have doing this for my apps couple of months ago and use it within small organization to have a simple access control.

Hope you love this simple trick.

hpkeong
MikeTwister

Thank you for your response. Yes, I realise that you can control access within the app using the user() formula.

However, that will not control access to the SharePoint list behind the application.

manotheshark

Realizing that this thread is a few months old, what the author wants to accomplish is possible.  You can restrict access to the list as desired at the sharepoint list level.  Powerapps is just an interface to the data and cannot prevent data entry and/or modification directly to the list on sharepoint.

• Open the sharepoint list that restricted access is desired
  • Select "List Settings"
  • Select "Permissions for this list"
  • Select "Stop Inherriting Permissions"
  • Select the group/user that restricted access is desired
  • Select "Edit User Permissions"
  • Select desired permission level

Please note that if the restricted permission level has not already been created for the site then it will need to be setup under "Site Settings" -> "Site Permissions" -> "Permission Levels".  Using this method you can allow people any combination of permissions including add/edit but not delete, add but not edit/delete, edit but not add/delete, etc.

jcurl

The goal, and one I need also, is to force everyone to use the PowerApp and prevent anyone from editing the data in the back-end SharePoint list. Designating the PowerApp use a system account to interact with the data and setting permissions on the list so that only that system account can edit items in that list (everyone else would have permission to use the PowerApp but not have permission to the SharePoint list) is one way that this problem could be solved. I voted for KREI_CZ's idea but am open to other options as long as it meets this requirement. Otherwise, what good does investing the time to build a UI that enforces business logic which can easily be circumvented intentionally or accidentally?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcurl

Using Azure SQL Server instead of SharePoint List would solve all your problems.

Pitfrog1

@manotheshark @KREI_CZ @MikeTwister 

has the answer for you. You need to create a unique permission for that list and you need to create a new permission level.

I solved this with creating a new permission lvl that only allows to "add entries". Of course they would be still able with a few clicks to see the data source but still they are only able to add or view them. Nothing else.

What I also did is filtering "All items" to "My items". If you dont know hot wo work with SharePoint you won't get the view "All items".

Hope that suits you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,703)