cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
techuvise
Level: Powered On

How to read/import and write/export from and to user supplied excel file during run time?

My use case is that during run time I want to have my powerapps app to ask end user for the name of the excel file so my app can read/import and write/export from and to this excel file.

There are alot of post on importing and exporting excel file as data source during development time.  It even has the ability to create a new powerapps app from excel file.  But, what I need is same or similar capabilities during runtime instead of development time.  There are two buttons "Import Excel File" and "Export Excel FIle" during development time but can I expose that during runtime so the end user can inport and export excel file?  Any  other ways to implement this feature?

Thank You,

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to read/import and write/export from and to user supplied excel file during run time?

Hi @techuvise ,

I'm afraid it's not supported to make this currently in PowerApps.

For now, PowerApps has only two controls about uploding file: Import and Attachments.

Import is used to upload the file that is exported by PowerApps (.msapp file).

Attachments os used to upload file to SharePoint list and Common Data Service entities.

However, you could not update data of the attached file in SharePoint list and Common Data Service entities currently.

So, I think both of them not meet your demands.

You could only connect with Excel file in the process of development.

Then, you could update the data of the Excel file when using the app.

About the function of creating connection with Excel when running app, I suggest you express your views on PowerApps Ideas Forum. Your precious advice will be very helpful for our work.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to read/import and write/export from and to user supplied excel file during run time?

Hi @techuvise ,

I'm afraid it's not supported to make this currently in PowerApps.

For now, PowerApps has only two controls about uploding file: Import and Attachments.

Import is used to upload the file that is exported by PowerApps (.msapp file).

Attachments os used to upload file to SharePoint list and Common Data Service entities.

However, you could not update data of the attached file in SharePoint list and Common Data Service entities currently.

So, I think both of them not meet your demands.

You could only connect with Excel file in the process of development.

Then, you could update the data of the Excel file when using the app.

About the function of creating connection with Excel when running app, I suggest you express your views on PowerApps Ideas Forum. Your precious advice will be very helpful for our work.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,074)