cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yahya
Level 10

Image Field is back to CDS entity. now a Question

Imagine I want to add a default image to all records in an Entity, can this be done in Flow?

Imagine I want to programmatically change image to another image based on, say, record Status change, can this be done by Flow?

If NO, and I guess no, then, please expedite make available the Marcos for CDS Entities which i have requested and MS have indicated as Planned!

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Macros-for-Microsoft-Common-Data-Model-CDM-Optio...

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Image Field is back to CDS entity. now a Question

Hi @Yahya,

I think the first could be done using the following way:

127.PNG

128.PNG

For second Approch, I think we could add a condition to check based on other fields.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mr-dang
Level 10

Personally, I would program this within the app. If you know that your images are all going to be the same and you want to change them all, then I would place a condition into an image box like:

Image1.Image is inside Gallery1:

If(ThisItem.Status=true,"http://www.storage.com/imagefile.png",[condition],[picture],[condition],[picture])

The reason I would avoid solving this in Flow is that you have a quota of 2000 flows. Making changes of this scale on Flow would take up unnecessary amount of that. 

If the pictures are going to change periodically, I would consider creating another entity for the images and using a LookUp to retrieve the appropriate image.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Yahya
Level 10

hi @mr-dang, thanks for your answer. One concern of mine was Flow quota while such a task should be made on database level, and i have already created an idea to CREATE A MACRO FOR CDS and it has now been set as PLANNED. 

Apart from that, i thank you for letting me know that this can be also done at App level, although equivalent to data macros in CDS would ensure more accuracy/consistency of data in entities, and will run ALWAYS despite how you are accessing your data! This isn't only related to image field manipulation,but to all/any data type.

For instance, in AWA I used to have a tblProject, that when i give it a Quotation:

1. Project Status changes from UnderWork to Submitted 

2. Quotation Number is auto-generated from a predefined separate tblQuotationNumber that the Project when gets a quotation, a data macro searches for the first un-booked quotation and gives it to that Project.

and in that AWA, i agree i have made a table tblImage with description that the datamacro searches for description to match a condition from any other table to change an image or a field.

in any case, in PowerApps i am less excited about images to give a visual idea about a thing Status, and will use the nicely feature such as sidebar that will be colored based on status of a record. Adding Image field has been that much delayed in CDS to ensure that APP performance will not slow down much with images, but i think it will still slows the App down!

this is only a simple example how data macros are important and i am glad that my idea has been set as planned.

By the way, the procedure given by @v-micsh-msft will just not work anyhow. Flow isn't ready!

Thanks

Untitled.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,592)